World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Saint Sarkis Church, Tbilisi

Article Id: WHEBN0025906021
Reproduction Date:

Title: Saint Sarkis Church, Tbilisi  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Church of the Holy Mother of God, Darashamb, Kirants Monastery, Church of Saint John, Mastara, Targmanchats Vank, Saint Nicholas Monastery, Jaffa
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Saint Sarkis Church, Tbilisi

Saint Sarkis Church
Սուրբ Սարգիս եկեղեցի
Saint Sarkis Church, Tbilisi
Shown within Georgia (country)
Basic information
Location District of Harpukh Sulfuric Baths
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Armenian Apostolic Church
Architectural description
Architectural style Armenian
Completed 1737

Saint Sarkis Church (Lavrentiy Beria order in 1930s.


The church was located on Saint Sarkis street (curr. Griashvili) and got its name from it.


The construction started in 1737 by Ter-Sukias, Archpriest of

In 1795 Agha Mohammad Khan forces enter the city and completely destroy the district of Sulfuric Baths.

After entering Russian Empire Tbilisi became governmental center and started rapidly develop. In 1831 Manuel Kyumushkhanetsi from the Crimean Peninsula was appointed the Archpriest of the church and started complete reconstruction and restoration in short time entering list of functioning Armenian churches.

Saint Sarkis Church celebrated the feast of Saint Sarkis day after Arachavorats lent usually in January or February. On those days church bells rang, liturgy were held and the church was especially crowded. The youth in couples or alone came for blessing.

Saint Sarkis Church as the whole Tbilisi Armenian community was in a rise. The church was tall, richly decorated from inside with delicate frescoes. There was a pre-church parochial school beside. In 1910s Tirayr Ter-Hovhannisyan, famous Armenian churchman, poet, philologist and translator served as vicar here.


Saint Sarkis Church was destroyed in 1937-38 by Lavrentiy Beria order along with 11 other Armenian churches in Tbilisi. Firstly the domes were destroyed, later for the wall destruction dynamite was used, but the church was not destroyed till the end and the lower part remained, which was later reconstructed as a residential building. During the destruction two workers fell down to death.

The parochial school moved to a new address - 79 Ortachala. Its building later was used as antenatal clinic.


  • (Russian) Армянские церкви Тбилиси - Св. Саргис

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.