World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Western District, Upper Canada

Article Id: WHEBN0002035522
Reproduction Date:

Title: Western District, Upper Canada  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Home District, London District, Upper Canada, Eastern District, Upper Canada, Upper Canada, Ontario
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Western District, Upper Canada

Western District was one of four districts of the Province of Quebec created in 1788 in the western reaches of the Montreal District and partitioned in 1791 to create the new colony of Upper Canada. Known as Hesse District (from Hesse in Germany) until 1792, it was abolished in 1849. The district originally consisted of that part of Upper Canada west of a line running north from Long Point on Lake Erie, in the region now referred to as Southwestern Ontario. The district town was Sandwich, later renamed Windsor.

In 1798, the district was reorganized to consist of the counties of:

At the same time, parts of the district were separated to create a new London District.

In 1847, legislation was initiated to create a new Kent District; however, facilities at the designated district town of Chatham needed to be built. The creation of the new district was not completed.

In 1849, the district was replaced by the United Counties of Essex and Kent.

In 1853 Waterloo County was created on the eastern boundaries of the former Western District.

See also

References

  • Armstrong, Frederick H. Handbook of Upper Canadian Chronology. Toronto : Dundurn Press, 1985. ISBN 0-919670-92-X
  • Changing Shape of Ontario: Early Districts and Counties

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.