World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Philip Harris Ltd.

Article Id: WHEBN0002861943
Reproduction Date:

Title: Philip Harris Ltd.  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Alfred Bird
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Philip Harris Ltd.

Philip Harris Ltd was a British laboratory supply company (part of Philip Harris plc) with a long history that has now been subsumed into a succession of larger, more anonymous corporations. The company brand name is now owned by Findel plc.

In its heyday the company was known to all science teachers in the UK (and many world-wide) as one of the two "first-call" suppliers for the peculiar needs of school science.

The company was originally based in Digbeth, Birmingham and started by Thomas Ellis, a surgeon, in 1817. At the time Philip Harris would have been only 15 or 16 years old, and he joined Ellis in 1825.

The company traded as a wholesale Chemical Laboratory Company occupying its Bullring site until 1889 (when according to their 'Catalogue of chemical and physical apparatus and chemicals', dated 1889, silver nitrate was selling for 9 shillings per ounce!). They moved to 144-146 Edmund Street at some time around the turn of the century.

They started manufacturing medicines and drugs in 1866, adding to their sales of chemist and surgical products.

Later biological and manufacturing units were established at Weston-super-Mare in the 1960s and 70s. The main office was latterly at Shenstone near Lichfield. The biological unit 'Harris Biological Supplies Ltd,' was established in Weston-super-Mare around October 1965, when it moved from Arundel Street, Sheffield; having traded previously as South Yorkshire Biological Supplies Ltd, prior to acquisition by Philip Harris Ltd.

A reputation for forward-thinking innovation was established in the 1960s by research staff working with leading-light science teachers involved in the development of the "Nuffield" modern science education courses. This innovation continued into the 1980s and 1990s with the development of some of the earliest scientific data-loggers to appear anywhere outside of academic research laboratories.

This innovation reputation persists today - even if only for a brand name rather than a company in its own right.

References

External links

  • Official website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.