World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Iberia, Ohio

 

Iberia, Ohio

Location of Iberia, Ohio
Presbyterian church

Iberia is a census-designated place in western Washington Township, Morrow County, Ohio, United States.[1] The community is served by the Northmor Local School District which formerly operated Iberia Elementary School in the community. Iberia is near to Galion, and Martel. The ZIP code assigned to Iberia by the United States Postal Service is 43325. The current population of Iberia is less than 200 as of the 2000 census. Iberia is northwest of Mount Gilead, the county seat.

Geography

Iberia is located in Central Ohio at 40°67'034" North, 82°84'357" West (40.67034, -82.84357), at the junction of State Route 309 and Morrow County Road 30.

History

Iberia was founded in 1827 and plated in 1832 by Frederick Meyers and Samuel Foster. The name of the community was suggested by Robert Rowland who was visiting family members that had settled in the area. On modern maps, the town is located at the junction of State Route 309 and Morrow County Road 30.

Iberia was once the home of Iberia College, later Ohio Central College, a Presbyterian Church affiliated institution of higher learning. The college is most closely aligned with its most notable graduate, Warren G. Harding, the 29th President of the United States. Following the cessation of classes, the records and alumni of Ohio Central College were assumed by Muskingum College of New Concord, Ohio.

Another man affiliated with Iberia College was its first president, the Rev. George A. Gordon, an abolitionist and local Presbyterian minister who refused a presidential pardon granted by Abraham Lincoln. The minister had been convicted for violating the Fugitive Slave Law. He died in 1868 and was buried in Iberia Cemetery. His actions were but a part of the operations of the Underground Railroad, along which Iberia was a significant host to several "stations".

Iberia's greatest period of growth occurred at turn of the 20th Century when the community served as a farm community center. For a short period in the 1920s, the town was located along the "Marion" spur of the Lincoln Highway.

References

  • Miller, Larry L. Ohio Place Names. Indiana University Press, 1996. ISBN 0-253-32932-9
  1. ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Iberia, Ohio

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.