World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

RAF Downham Market

Article Id: WHEBN0019757110
Reproduction Date:

Title: RAF Downham Market  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Downham Market, Pathfinder (RAF), Wallace Kyle, Ian Willoughby Bazalgette, No. 3 Group RAF, Bawdeswell, No. 635 Squadron RAF, No. 623 Squadron RAF, List of Norfolk airfields, No. 214 Squadron RAF
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

RAF Downham Market

RAF Downham Market
IATA: noneICAO: none
Airport type Military
Owner Air Ministry
Operator Royal Air Force
Location Downham Market, Norfolk
Built 1942 (1942)
In use 1942-1946 (1946)
Elevation AMSL 121 ft / 37 m
Coordinates 52°36′33″N 000°24′26″E / 52.60917°N 0.40722°E / 52.60917; 0.40722Coordinates: 52°36′33″N 000°24′26″E / 52.60917°N 0.40722°E / 52.60917; 0.40722

RAF Downham Market
RAF Downham Market
Location in Norfolk
Direction Length Surface
ft m
00/00 0 0 Asphalt
00/00 0 0 Asphalt
00/00 0 0 Asphalt

RAF Downham Market was a Royal Air Force station in the west of the county of Norfolk in the United Kingdom which operated during the second half of the Second World War.


RAF Downham Market opened as a satellite station for RAF Marham in the Summer of 1942. The station was equipped with three concrete runways, one of 1,900 yards and two of 1,400 yards. Originally there were 36 hardstandings, although this dropped to 34 when an additional B1 hangar was added in the north west of the station. Six T2 hangars were built, three of which were for the storage of gliders. Accommodation was provided for 1,719 males and 326 females, with Bexwell Hall being used as the officer's mess. In October 1943 the station was equipped with the FIDO fog dispersal system.

The first operational squadron at the station was 218 Squadron, operating Short Stirling aircraft, who arrived from Marham in July 1942. In August 1943, 623 Squadron formed at Downham, also operating Stirling aircraft. This Squadron was disbanded four months later, when the station was re-equipped with Avro Lancaster aircraft. 214 Squadron operated briefly from Downham Market during December 1943 and January 1944.[1]

In March 1944 the station passed to No. 8 Group, with 218 Squadron leaving for RAF Woolfox Lodge, being replaced by 635 Squadron, also using Lancaster aircraft. 571 Squadron, equipped with de Havilland Mosquito aircraft, formed at Downham in April 1944, but had moved to RAF Oakington within a month.

608 Squadron re-formed at Downham in August, equipped with Canadian-built Mosquito aircraft as part of No. 8 Group's policy of having one Lancaster and one Mosquito squadron at each base.

No. 608 and 635 Squadron's operated from Downham to the end of the war, and both were disbanded in late summer of 1945. 170 aircraft either failed to return or crashed during the operations from RAF Downham Market; 109 Stirlings, 40 Lancasters and 21 Mosquitos, including Mosquito KB364 which crashed on Bawdeswell's church.[2]

Current use

After closure as an operational airfield in 1946, the airfield remained in a derelict state until it was finally sold in 1957. In approximately 1950 a large proportion of the "domestic" site was re-developed as a short term housing estate, renamed "Stone Cross Estate", which finally closed in 1963. The airfield remained almost intact until the construction of the Downham Market by-pass (A10) in the late 1970s when much of the runways / taxiways where used as hard core for the road project. Today the majority of the site has been returned to agriculture, with the technical site becoming an industrial estate. There is an unmanned radio relay station located in one corner of the former base. Adjacent to St. Marys Church Bexwell, and opposite the former guardroom, is a small plaque to commemorate the station's existence.

Downham Market aircraft

Several types of aircraft have operated out of Downham Market, among these:

Downham Market squadrons

See also


External links

  • RAF History - Bomber Command 60th Anniversary
  • Helzapoppin - Downham
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.