World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

482d Operations Group

482d Operations Group
Emblem of the 482d Operations Group
Active 1943–1945; 1947–1949; 1952; 1955–1957; 1992–present
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
General Dynamics Block 30D F-16Cs of the 93rd Fighter Squadron over Biscayne Bay, Florida. Identifiable is F-16C AF Serial No. 86-0267.

The 482d Operations Group (482 OG) is a United States Air Force Reserve unit assigned to the 482d Fighter Wing. It is stationed at Homestead Joint Air Reserve Base, Florida, and is a direct successor to the 482d Bombardment Group.

During Eighth Air Force radar-equipped "pathfinder" heavy bomber group. Its B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator aircraft were equipped with first generation radar to guide other bombardment groups to targets obscured by cloud cover over Occupied Europe and Nazi Germany ("blind bombing").

Contents

  • Overview 1
  • Components 2
  • History 3
    • World War II 3.1
    • Cold War 3.2
    • Modern era 3.3
    • Lineage 3.4
    • Assignments 3.5
    • Components 3.6
    • Stations 3.7
    • Aircraft 3.8
  • References 4
  • External links 5

Overview

The mission of the 482d Operations Group (Tail Code: FM) is to train and equip reservists to respond to wartime and peacetime taskings as directed by higher headquarters. The group specifically trains for: Mobility, Deployment, and Employment.

Components

The operational squadron of the 482 OG is the 93rd Fighter Squadron "Makos" (F-16C)

History

For additional history and lineage, see 482d Fighter Wing

World War II

B-24H, 44th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force, dropping its load on Frankfurt, 29 January 1944, Serial Number 27644 Source: Arco-Aircam Book #11 "Consolidated B-24D - M Liberator"

In the summer of 1943, the H2S and H2X (APS-15) radars.

The 482d Bomb Group was formed at RAF Alconbury on 20 August 1943, under the command of Lt Col Baskin R. Lawrence, who had been training its 92nd BG cadre since 1 May. The 812th Bomb Squadron arrived from the United States in September with 12 new B-17 aircraft equipped with U.S. manufactured H2S radar. The 813th was a re-designation of the325th Bomb Squadron, 92nd Bomb Group, which had been training since may in B-17s equipped with British-manufactured H2S and Oboe sets. The 814th flew B-24 Liberator aircraft acquired from a disbanded anti-submarine warfare group. The 482d Group was one of two Eighth Air Force groups activated overseas (the other being the 25th Bomb Group (Reconnaissance)).

The 482d BG provided a force of radar-equipped aircraft that preceded bomber formations flying from England to Germany and indicated targets such as airfields, submarine installations, and marshalling yards obscured by weather. Eight Air Force dubbed the group with the modifier "Pathfinder" because of its similarity of mission in locating and designating obscured targets that was also the mission of the Pathfinder Force (PFF) of the Royal Air Force.

The 482d BG provided lead aircraft for other bomb groups throughout the winter of 1943/44. As lead aircraft, 482 BG B-17s and B-24s usually flew missions from stations of other groups with some key personnel of the host group flying in the pathfinder aircraft. The group earned a Distinguished Unit Citation for 11 January 1944 mission leading Eighth Air Force bombers to targets such as aircraft factories in central Germany. Although weather prevented effective fighter protection against enemy aircraft, the group bombed assigned targets and destroyed many enemy airplanes. Individual aircraft and crews led Eighth Air Force elements on attacks against factories at Gotha, Brunswick, Schweinfurt, and other German industrial centers during Big Week, 20–25 February

The 482d BG was transferred to Composite Command in February 1944 when emphasis shifted to training radar operators. The 482d began an H2X training school on 21 February 1944, initially using RAF instructors. It graduated a class of 36 radar navigators each month, as the PFF was decentralized first to the air divisions and then to the combat groups, where each assigned one squadron to be its PFF unit. Training and experimentation remained the chief role of the 482d BG for the remainder of war.

In March 1944, the 482d BG was taken off combat operations and became a development unit for various radar devices in addition to its training function, but continued to undertake special operations. With radar, photographed parts of France, the Low Countries, and Germany for training and briefing combat crews. While on experimental flights, often bombed bridges, fuel depots, power plants, and railroad stations. On 6 June, it provided 18 crews to lead bomb groups in support of the Allied invasion of Normandy, on pathfinder missions to bomb coastal defenses and attacks on traffic centers behind the beachhead.

From August 1944 to April 1945, the 482d BG conducted 202 radar scope and 'pickling' sorties over hostile territory without loss, dropping 45 tons of bombs in Nazi controlled territory. In November 1944, the group was re-designated as the 482d Bomb Group (Heavy).

Redeployed to the US in May 1945. The aircraft departed between 27–30 May 1945. The ground unit sailed on the Queen Elizabeth from Gourock on 24 June 1945. The group re-established at Victorville AAF, Ca. on 5 July 1945, but inactivated on 1 September 1945

Cold War

Trained in the Reserve as a heavy bombardment group, June 1947 – June 1949; as a troop carrier group, June–December 1952; and as a fighter-bomber group flying various fighter and trainer aircraft, May 1955 – November 1957. From August 1992 controlled the 482d Fighter Wing's flying and aerial port operations.

Modern era

When Hurricane Andrew devastated Homestead later that month, flying operations moved to Wright-Patterson AFB, September–December 1992 and to MacDill AFB, February 1993 – March 1994, before returning to Homestead.

Lineage

  • Established as 482 Bombardment Group (Pathfinder) on 10 August 1943
Activated on 20 August 1943
Redesignated 482 Bombardment Group, Heavy on 11 November 1944
Inactivated on 1 September 1945
  • Redesignated 482 Bombardment Group, Very Heavy on 3 June 1947
Activated in the Reserve on 26 June 1947
Inactivated on 27 June 1949
  • Redesignated 482 Troop Carrier Group, Medium on 26 May 1952
Activated in the Reserve on 14 June 1952
Inactivated on 1 December 1952
  • Redesignated 482 Fighter-Bomber Group on 12 August 1955
Activated in the Reserve on 18 May 1955
Inactivated on 16 November 1957
  • Redesignated: 482 Tactical Fighter Group on 31 July 1985 (Remained inactive)
  • Redesignated: 482 Operations Group on 1 August 1992
Activated in the Reserve on 1 August 1992.

Assignments

Components

Stations

Temporarily assigned to: Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, September–December 1992
Temporarily assigned to MacDill AFB, Florida, February 1993 – March 1994

Aircraft

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.