World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

A386 road

Article Id: WHEBN0008217139
Reproduction Date:

Title: A386 road  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Industrial archaeology of Dartmoor, Lydford, Dousland, A374 road
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

A386 road

A386 road
;">Route information
Length:
;">Major junctions
South end:

Plymouth
50°22′33″N 4°08′35″W / 50.3758°N 4.1431°W / 50.3758; -4.1431 (A386 road (southern end))

  A39 road
North end:

Appledore
51°03′08″N 4°11′27″W / 51.0521°N 4.1908°W / 51.0521; -4.1908 (A386 road (northern end))

Length:
Length:
Length:
Length:
;">
;">Road network

The A386 is a primary route in Devon, England. It runs from Plymouth on the south coast to Appledore on the north coast.

The road starts in the centre of Plymouth, and forms Tavistock Road, the main route out of the city to the north. It crosses a section of Dartmoor to Yelverton and Tavistock. The A386 then heads northeast across the western fringe of Dartmoor past the village of Lydford to the A30 west of Okehampton. It passes to the west of Okehampton to reach Hatherleigh, where the road joins the valley of the River Torridge. It follows the valley to, Meeth, Merton, Great Torrington, Bideford and finally Appledore.

History

The route is little changed from its original alignment in 1922. It originally ended at Bideford, and was extended north first to Northam and then to Appledore on the former route of the B3236. The route originally went through the town of Okehampton. In about 1971 it was realigned to its present route on the former route of the B3219. In the north of Plymouth the road was rebuilt in the 1970s to bypass the village of Crownhill.

References

  • SABRE page on the A386

External links

Template:Sister-inline

Template:GeoGroupTemplate

Coordinates: 50°44′42″N 4°01′52″W / 50.7449°N 4.0311°W / 50.7449; -4.0311 (A386 road)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.