World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Afek, Israel

Article Id: WHEBN0001902689
Reproduction Date:

Title: Afek, Israel  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Mateh Asher Regional Council, Wall and tower, Chronology of Aliyah in modern times, Kibbutz Movement, Kibbutzim
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Afek, Israel

Afek (Hebrew: אֲפֵק) is a kibbutz in northern Israel. Located in the Zevulun Valley in the Western Galilee, near the archaeological site of Tel Afek and the HaKerayot agglomeration, it falls under the jurisdiction of Mateh Asher. In 2014 it had a population of 539.

History

The kibbutz was originally founded in 1935 as Plugat HaYam (Hebrew: פלוגת הים‎, lit. Sea Company) on the dunes near present-day Kiryat Haim, with the goal of getting jobs in the Port of Haifa. In 1938 the kibbutz was moved to the coast in the area of Acre as a "tower and stockade" settlement, and was renamed Mishmar HaYam (Hebrew: משמר הים‎, lit. Sea Guard). In 1947 the village moved again to its current location, this time a short distance inland on the same agricultural lands, based on the decision to abandon fishing and concentrate exclusively on agriculture. Its current name is derived from the adjacent Tel Afek, a candidate for one of the biblical Apheks (Joshua 19:30).

Afek has 200 members and over 450 resident. The kibbutz operates a preschool system and primary school that are open to the general public. The kibbutz economy is based on field crops, orchards, dairy farming, poultry farming, and fish farming. It also has three

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.