World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Alter Botanischer Garten Marburg

Article Id: WHEBN0024181832
Reproduction Date:

Title: Alter Botanischer Garten Marburg  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Marburg, List of botanical gardens in Germany
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Alter Botanischer Garten Marburg


The Alter Botanischer Garten Marburg (3.6 hectares), also known as the Alte Botanische Garten am Pilgrimstein, is a historic arboretum and botanical garden maintained by the University of Marburg and located at Pilgrimstein 3, Marburg, Hesse, Germany. It is open daily without charge.

Marburg's first botanical garden was established between 1527-1533 when the humanist, poet, physician and botanist Euricius Cordus, considered a founder of scientific botany in Germany, is known to have set up a private botanical garden of which designs little is known today. In 1786 a second garden attempt was created by Professor Conrad Moench near the Elisabeth Church (Marburg).

Today's garden dates to 1810 when Georg Wilhelm Franz Wenderoth (1774-1861) obtained the site from Jérôme Bonaparte in exchange for the earlier Ketzerbach garden, which he then developed into the English style to create a combination of park landscape and scientific garden. In 1861 Albert Wigand transformed the garden to conform with the school of Peter Joseph Lenné and Johann Heinrich Gustav Meyer, creating sections especially for trees. Later on, 1873-1875 the Botanical Institute was built at Pilgrimstein 4 in Gothic Revival style.

In 1977 the university's gardens were transferred to the Neuer Botanischer Garten Marburg, and in 1994 the Old Botanical Garden became a registered cultural monument. Although still owned by the university, it is now used mainly as a public park containing a fine arboretum of mature trees that are over 200 years old, including specimens Quercus petraea, Platanus x acerifolia, Salix alba, Liriodendron tulipifera, and many conifers.

See also

References

  • Alter Botanischer Garten Marburg
  • University of Marburg old botanical garden
  • Garden map
  • Garden map, as of 1812
  • BAM portal
  • Wenderoth, Georg Wilhelm Franz: Der Pflanzgarten der Universität Marburg, Marburg 1850.
  • Wigand, Julius Wilhelm Albert: Der Botanische Garten Marburg, Marburg 1867, 1880.
  • Becker, Horst: Der Alte Botanische Garten in Marburg an der Lahn (Die Blauen Bücher), Königstein 1997.

Coordinates: 50°48′44.57″N 8°46′20.49″E / 50.8123806°N 8.7723583°E / 50.8123806; 8.7723583

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.