World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Beit Yanai

Article Id: WHEBN0018027621
Reproduction Date:

Title: Beit Yanai  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Highway 2 (Israel)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Beit Yanai

Beit Yanai
בֵּית יַנַּאי
Beit Yanai
Beit Yanai

Coordinates: 32°22′47″N 34°51′47″E / 32.37972°N 34.86306°E / 32.37972; 34.86306Coordinates: 32°22′47″N 34°51′47″E / 32.37972°N 34.86306°E / 32.37972; 34.86306

Council Hefer Valley
Region Sharon plain
Affiliation Agricultural Union
Founded 1933
Founded by Lithuanian and Polish immigrants

Beit Yanai (Hebrew: בֵּית יַנַּאי, lit. House of Yanai) is a moshav in central Israel. Located in the Sharon plain on the shore of the Mediterranean Sea around 6 kilometres north of Netanya, it falls under the jurisdiction of Hefer Valley Regional Council. In 2006 it had a population of 399.

The moshav was founded in 1933 by immigrants from Lithuania and Poland, and was named after Alexander Jannaeus (known in Hebrew as Alexander Yanai) the Hasmonean king. There were several Americans among the original settlers. [1]

It later absorbed more immigrants from South Africa. In 1947 it had over 100 residents.[1]

The Kfar Vitkin pier, built in 1938 is located to the north of the moshav. The Altalena was anchored there, and it was used for exporting citrus fruits.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.