World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Belle-Alliance-Platz

Article Id: WHEBN0010418286
Reproduction Date:

Title: Belle-Alliance-Platz  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: La Belle Alliance, Friedrichstraße, Friedrichstadt (Berlin), Battle in Berlin, Belle Alliance (disambiguation)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Belle-Alliance-Platz


Mehringplatz is a round plaza (or circus)[1] at the southern peak of the Friedrichstadt neighbourhood in Kreuzberg, Berlin. It marks the southern end of Friedrichstraße. Until 1970 also Lindenstraße and Wilhelmstrasse ended in the square. Since 1947 it is named after the publicist Franz Mehring (1846–1919).

Mehringplatz is one of three prominent squares laid out about 1730 in the course of the city's Baroque extension under King Frederick William I of Prussia, beside Pariser Platz (former Karree) and Leipziger Platz (Octogon). Due to its circular shape Mehringplatz was initially named Rondell; in 1815, it was renamed Belle-Alliance-Platz after the Battle of La Belle Alliance, an alternative name for the Battle of Waterloo that was then popular in Prussia. The square was the southern entrance to Berlin via Hallesches Tor, a gate of the new city walls on the road from Halle.

The place was refurbished from the 1830s on including the erection of the Friedenssäule ("Peace Column") with a statue of Victoria by Christian Daniel Rauch in 1843. In World War II the area was completely devastated by an air raid on 3 February 1945 and the following Battle of Berlin. From the 1960s the Mehringplatz was redeveloped as a pedestrian zone in the centre of a large subsidized housing estate according to conceptions by Hans Scharoun ultimately executed by Berlin architect Werner Düttmann. A series of striking murals were created in the 1990s decorating the lower walls of the housing in its courtyard.


Footnotes

Coordinates: 52°29′56″N 13°23′30″E / 52.49889°N 13.39167°E / 52.49889; 13.39167

Template:Berlin-struct-stub
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.