World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Chambre introuvable

Article Id: WHEBN0006212931
Reproduction Date:

Title: Chambre introuvable  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bourbon Restoration, Jean-Baptiste de Villèle, 1815 in France, September 5, Louis XVIII of France
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Chambre introuvable

The deputies of the Chambre introuvable.

The Chambre introuvable (French: Unobtainable Chamber) was the first Chamber of Deputies elected after the Second Bourbon Restoration in 1815. It was dominated by Ultra-royalists who completely refused to accept the results of the French Revolution. The name was coined by King Louis XVIII of France.

The elections, held on 14 August 1815 under census suffrage and under the impact of the "White Terror", produced a heavy Ultra-royalist majority: 350 of the 402 members were Ultra-royalists.

The "Unobtainable Chamber", which was first assembled on 7 October 1815, was characterized by its zeal in favour of the aristocracy and the clergy and aimed at reestablishing the Ancien Régime. The Chambre introuvable voted the establishment of military provost-marshal courts and banished all of the Conventionnels who had voted for Louis XVI's execution.

Louis XVIII, confronted with rising discontent in French society, followed the counsels of the Pozzo di Borgo, and dissolved the Chamber on 5 September 1816.

The subsequent elections resulted in the Ultras being temporarily replaced by the more liberal Doctrinaires, who attempted to reconcile the Revolution's legacy with the monarchy.

When under the government of Jean-Baptiste, comte de Villèle, the Ultra-royalists resumed the majority in the chamber in December 1823, this chamber was dubbed Chambre retrouvée, the "Recovered Chamber", in reference to the Chambre introuvable.

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.