World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Dikļi parish

Article Id: WHEBN0022211025
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dikļi parish  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Latvian Song and Dance Festival, Administrative divisions of Latvia before 2009, Administrative divisions of Latvia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Dikļi parish

Dikļi parish (Latvian: Dikļu pagasts) is an administrative unit of the Valmiera District, Latvia.

Dikli is a quiet rural village in the northern part of Latvia that is home to around only five hundred people. In Latvia, Dikli is well known as the birthplace of the traditions of the Latvian theatre and song festivals.

In 1818, Dikli Palace was the venue for a performance of Friedrich Schiller’s play “The Robbers” translated by a servant on the estate, Janis Peitans, in which the local farmers resident in the vicinity of Dikli took to the stage as actors.

During the summer festival of 1864, not far from the Dikli Estate Park, the first ever song festival took place organised by clergyman and writer, Juris Neikens.

Dikli is richly endowed with various historical objects. The avenue of oak trees leading from Dikli Palace Hotel leads directly to a small wooden church built as a pile building back in 1722 which was transformed into a brick building in 1848 retaining its previous form. From 1857–1867, the vicar of this church was Juris Neikens. The church is home to one of the most ornamental of baroque era church altars in Vidzeme (built in 1698) and a pulpit (built in 1699) which was created by a sculptor from the Riga sculptors’ workshop, J. D. Strauss who also worked on the stone figures that the feature in the portal of St. Peter’s Church in Riga and who also created the interior elements of the church in Ugale. The pulpit was further developed from 1730-1750 by A. H. Konciuss who was based in Estonia.

Towns, villages and settlements of Dikļi parish


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.