World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Duquette, Minnesota

Article Id: WHEBN0002958172
Reproduction Date:

Title: Duquette, Minnesota  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kerrick, Minnesota, Pine County, Minnesota, Duquette, Willow River (Kettle River), Belden, Minnesota
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Duquette, Minnesota

Duquette, Minnesota
Unincorporated community
Duquette, Minnesota is located in Minnesota
Duquette, Minnesota
Location of the community of Duquette
within Pine County
Coordinates:
Country United States
State Minnesota
County Pine
Township Kerrick Township and Nickerson Township
Elevation 1,145 ft (349 m)
Population
 • Total 70
Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6)
 • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5)
ZIP code 55756 or 55712
Area code(s) 218
GNIS feature ID 642988[1]

Duquette is an unincorporated community in Pine County, Minnesota, United States; located along the Willow River.

State Highway 23 (MN 23) serves as a main route in the community. The Nemadji State Forest is nearby.

Duquette is located along the boundary line between Kerrick Township and Nickerson Township. The communities of Nickerson, Kerrick, and Holyoke are all near Duquette.

Community

Duquette is an unincorporated community in northern Pine County. Local businesses include the Duquette General Store and the Duquette Bar. Nearby is the Duquette Airport, a private, 1/4 mile grass airstrip, owned by Dick Hendrickson.

Duquette is the home of Jackie Berger Park; which includes campsites, ballfield, pavilion, tennis court, and fishing in the Willow River. The park was named after a local young man who died on Omaha Beach on D-Day, 1944. A parking field for snowmobiles, offroad motorcycles or ATV's abuts the park.

History

Duquette is located along the BNSF Railway on what was at one time the Great Northern Railway. It was built on an early Indian village site located at the southern terminus of the Willow–Nemadji Portage; the first European settlers were French Canadians, among them was the entrepreneur Frank Duquette, who built a sawmill and store. Originally the village was named Kerrick until the Great Northern Railway depot was moved three miles south, keeping that name, and for a period Duquette was called Old Kerrick, the new site being called New Kerrick; the names were corrected when the Duquette post office was established in 1905.

References

  1. ^ "Duquette, Minnesota".  
  • Rand McNally Road Atlas – 2007 edition – Minnesota entry
  • Official State of Minnesota Highway Map – 2011/2012 edition
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.