World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Eaucourt-sur-Somme

Article Id: WHEBN0015669143
Reproduction Date:

Title: Eaucourt-sur-Somme  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Somme department, Arrondissement of Abbeville
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Eaucourt-sur-Somme

Eaucourt-sur-Somme
Eaucourt-sur-Somme
Eaucourt-sur-Somme

Coordinates: 50°03′54″N 1°53′10″E / 50.065°N 1.8861°E / 50.065; 1.8861Coordinates: 50°03′54″N 1°53′10″E / 50.065°N 1.8861°E / 50.065; 1.8861

Country France
Region Picardy
Department Somme
Arrondissement Abbeville
Canton Abbeville-Sud
Intercommunality L'Abbevillois
Government
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Henri Sannier
Area
 • Land1 4.42 km2 (1.71 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 390
 • Population2 density 88/km2 (230/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 80262 / 80580
Elevation 6–103 m (20–338 ft)
(avg. 7 m or 23 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Eaucourt-sur-Somme is a commune in the Somme department in Picardie in northern France.

Geography

The commune is situated 4 miles (6 km) southeast of Abbeville on the D901 and by the banks of the river.

History

The etymology of the name "Eaucourt". One of many towns in Picardie where the name ends in ‘court’. This dates back to the Middle Ages, when a manor was enlarged by the building of smaller houses around it in a ‘court’. ‘Eau’ is ‘water’.
The town of Eaucourt-sur-Somme appears to have been founded in the 7th or 8th century as part of the possessions of the Abbey of St Riquier. By usurpation, or by concession, Eaucourt passed into the hands of the lords of the Ferté, at that time, the Châtillons family.
The castle was first constructed in the 13th century, since the diocesan Pouillé of 1301 talks about the chapel of Saint Margherite and the castle. He called it "Aqua curte". The castle construction was carried out by the lords of the Ferté in response to the wishes of King Philippe II (Augustus) (1165–1223) to fortify towns in order to defend the newly conquered territory.
Around 1358, during the imprisonment of King John the Good of France, municipal troops of Abbeville demolished the castle to prevent the English any means to establish themselves in the region. Rebuilt soon after, in 1420, by Simon of Boulainvilliers, it was subsequently fought over by the kings of France and England (and the Burgundians) and left in ruins.
The castle was rebuilt in 1436 by John of Eaucourt, who chose to live here. 4 years later it was pillaged by Pierre Renaud of Vignolles in 1440, who put the lord of Eaucourt to ransom.
In 1575, the seigneurie of Eaucourt was held by Françoise of Soyecourt.
In 1589, during the French Wars of Religion, the leaguers of Abbeville attacked the troops of King Henry IV of France and took possession of the castle.
In 1700, the seigneurie of Eaucourt was held by the Dame of Belleforière-Soyecourt.
In 1755, by Joachim-Charles de Seiglière de Belleforière.
In 1777, by François Valliant, knight, who bought the castle and lived there until 1779. This is the last time anyone used it as a home.

In 1983, Damien Maupin founded the Association for the Restoration of the Chateau d’Eaucourt (ARCH) and organized the first restoration work.

Places of interest

  • The church
  • The windmill (rebuilt by the community)
  • The Château

Personalities

  • Henri Sannier, the mayor, is also a well-known French television sports reporter.

Population

Historical population of Eaucourt-sur-Somme
Year 1962196819751982199019992006
Population 283307365396414376390
From the year 1962 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.

See also

References

  • INSEE

External links

  • Le site internet de l'ARChE(Association pour la Restauration du Château d'Eaucourt sur Somme) (French)
  • Eaucourt-sur-Somme on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.