World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Edge Hill, Liverpool

Article Id: WHEBN0000314591
Reproduction Date:

Title: Edge Hill, Liverpool  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 1st Lancashire Engineers, Kensington, Liverpool, Wavertree, Edge Hill railway works, Williamson Tunnels
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Edge Hill, Liverpool

Edge Hill

Sign on Holt Road at the boundary of Edge Hill
Edge Hill is located in Merseyside
Edge Hill
 Edge Hill shown within Merseyside
OS grid reference
Metropolitan borough Liverpool
Metropolitan county Merseyside
Region North West
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Postcode district L7
Dialling code 0151
Police Merseyside
Fire Merseyside
Ambulance North West
EU Parliament North West England
UK Parliament Liverpool Wavertree
List of places

Edge Hill is a district of Liverpool, England. It is located to the south east of Liverpool city centre, bordered by the city centre, Kensington, Wavertree and Toxteth. Edge Hill University was founded here, but moved to Ormskirk in the 1930s.


The area was first developed in the late 18th/early 19th century (Victorian era, have also largely been demolished. Although some modern housing has been built, the area still has a depopulated appearance, with many vacant lots and derelict pubs and shops.

A notable resident was Joseph Williamson (1769–1840) a tobacco magnate who was responsible for much of the building in the area during the early 19th century. He is remembered as the "Mole of Edge Hill" due to his employing hundreds of men to construct a network of tunnels beneath the Edge Hill area. Part of the tunnel network is now open to the public as a tourist attraction.

In the early 19th century, Edge Hill was the site of two railway works. Both the Liverpool and Manchester Railway and the Grand Junction Railway initially set up workshops, but with restricted expansion as the business grew, the Grand Junction Railway moved its main locomotive production to Crewe in 1843. Locomotives continued to be built at Edge Hill until 1851. The Liverpool and Manchester was absorbed by the Grand Junction in 1845, which in turn became part of the London and North Western Railway in 1846.

The first Edge Hill station was built in 1830 on a site about 150m from its present location. Of this little remains. There was a "Moorish Arch" with a stationary engine hauling trains up and down from Crown Street Station until locomotive-hauled trains were able to cope with the gradient. The current station dates from 1836 when the main city railway terminus was moved to Lime Street. The station retains its original buildings but is very quiet owing to the sheer lack of population or industry in the area. These buildings are the oldest in the world still open to the public at a working railway station.[1]

Formerly all trains stopped at Edge Hill at the entrance to the tunnel to Lime Street station, giving rise to "getting off at Edge Hill" as a euphemism for coitus interruptus.[2]

Edge Hill was the site of huge railway marshalling yards until the 1970s, sorting trains to and from the docks via the Victoria Tunnel and Wapping Tunnel to Park Lane and Waterloo goods stations on the dockside.

The Old Stableyard on Smithdown Lane once housed Roy Rogers' horse Trigger during a visit to Liverpool..

Herbert Rowse Armstrong, the Hay poisoner lived at 52 Durning Road, Edge Hill whilst practicing as a solicitor in the city

The Crumbles murderer Patrick Herbert Mahon was born in Helena Street in 1889.

The Liverpool writer Tom Slemen, author of the bestselling Haunted Liverpool books, was born and raised in Edge Hill.

Crown Street Resource Centre is a mental health resource centre in Edge Hill opened in 1982 and run by Liverpool social services and Merseycare for people living in the Liverpool city area.

Groove Armada wrote a song entitled "Edge Hill" during a period in which they lived in a homeless shelter in the neighbourhood.

Edge Hill University began work in the area in 1885 as a teacher training college, though it moved to its current Ormskirk site in 1933.[3]


  1. ^ Civil Engineering Heritage: Northern England, p. 250, Rennison, R. W & Barbey, M. F., London (1996)
  2. ^ Lern Yerself Scouse, vol. 4: "The language of Laura Norder", Fritz Spiegel, Liverpool (1989)
  3. ^ Edge Hill University - History

External links

  • Edge Hill Today
  • War time WW2 Factory in Edge Hill
  • Liverpool Street Gallery - Liverpool 7
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.