World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Famous-Barr

The Famous-Barr Co.
Industry Retail
Fate Converted to Macy's
Successor Macy's
Founded 1911
Founder David May
Defunct 2006
Headquarters St. Louis, Missouri
Products Clothing, footwear, bedding, furniture, jewelry, beauty products, and housewares.
Parent The May Department Stores Company (1911-August 30, 2005) Federated Department Stores, Inc. (August 30, 2005-September 9, 2006)
Website www.macys.com

The Famous-Barr Co. (originally Famous & Barr Co.) was a division of Macy's, Inc. (formerly Federated Department Stores). Headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri in the Railway Exchange Building (St. Louis), it was the flagship store of The May Department Stores Company, which was acquired by Federated on August 30, 2005. On February 1, 2006, it was subsumed into the newly created Macy's Midwest division.

Famous-Barr was created in 1911 through the merger of The William Barr Dry Goods Co. and previously May-owned The Famous Clothing Store.[1] Famous-Barr was the first air conditioned department store in the United States. In 1991 it took operational control of the L.S. Ayres division in Indiana, and in 1998 took on The Jones Store in Kansas City when May acquired that chain in the aftermath of the Dillard's acquisition of Mercantile Stores Co. Both chains retained their names, but shut down their headquarters.

The Famous-Barr name was retired on September 9, 2006, when Federated converted most of Macy's regional department stores to the Macy's nameplate. The downtown Saint Louis store and headquarters were first shrunk and then closed in summer 2013; the remaining retail employees moved to other stores, while the headquarters staff moved to Earth City.

See also

References

  1. ^ St. Louis commerce: official publication of the St. Louis Regional Commerce ... - St. Louis Regional Commerce & Growth Association - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-08-17. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.