World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fors de Bearn

Article Id: WHEBN0009015770
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fors de Bearn  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Fuero, Béarn, Sentonge, Viscount of Béarn, Theobald, Viscount of Béarn, Mary, Viscount of Béarn
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fors de Bearn

The Fors de Bearn, or fueros of Béarn, are a series of legal texts (privileges, rulings, judicial sentences, decrees, formularies) compiled over centuries (mostly the eleventh to thirteenth) in the Viscounty of Béarn. Together they formed the constitution of Béarn at the time of their first known complete version in the fifteenth century.

For is a Gascon word derived from the Latin forum, specifically from the Forum Iudicium, which was the law of the Visigoths.

The first of the fors was a charter promulgated around 1080 by Centule V for the repopulation of the ancient town of Iluro (Oloron). This was the seed of the future For de Oloron, which granted the city a commune. In 1102, Gaston IV granted a privilege to his capital of Morlaas, the nucleus of a similar future For de Morlaas. Finally, in 1188, Gaston VI promulgated the For General, applicable throughout Béarn. This for included several dispensations which had accrued in the second half of the century.

In the first half of the thirteenth century, the viscounts William Raymond and Gaston VII issued a series of fors for each of the Pyrenean valleys:

  • Baretous (1220)
  • Ossau (1221)
  • First charter of Aspe (1247)
  • Second charter of Aspe (1250)

In the sixteenth century, when Béarn was united with the Louis XIII incorporated Béarn into the French crown, but preserved the Fors, which continued to govern the viscounty until its abolition during the French Revolution in 1789.

Sources

  • Tucoo-Chala, Pierre. Quand l'Islam était aux portes des Pyrénées. J&D Editions: Biarritz, 1994. ISBN 2-84127-022-X.
  • Omnes, Jean. Guide du curieux: Haut Béarn. Pyremonde, 2006. ISBN 2-84618-303-1.

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.