World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Fouras

Fouras

Coat of arms
Fouras
Fouras

Coordinates: 45°59′16″N 1°05′35″W / 45.9878°N 1.0931°W / 45.9878; -1.0931Coordinates: 45°59′16″N 1°05′35″W / 45.9878°N 1.0931°W / 45.9878; -1.0931

Country France
Region Poitou-Charentes
Department Charente-Maritime
Arrondissement Rochefort
Canton Rochefort-Nord
Intercommunality Pays Rochefortais
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Sylvie Marcilly
Area
 • Land1 9.51 km2 (3.67 sq mi)
Population (2008)
 • Population2 4,095
 • Population2 density 430/km2 (1,100/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 17168 / 17450
Elevation 0–21 m (0–69 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Fouras is a commune in the Charente-Maritime department in the Poitou-Charentes region in southwestern France. It lies 34 km south of La Rochelle.

Geography


Fouras is on a peninsula. It is bordered by five beaches and a forest named "Bois Vert" ("Green Wood" in English) which covers 20% of its area.

It extends into a roadway to discover tide to the low Fort Enet in the direction of the Île-d'Aix. The pier for the island of Aix is also located in the territory of the commune.

The south coast of the peninsula of Fouras forms the northern side of the mouth of the Charente river. A little further south is the Île d'Oléron. Off the island between Aix and the island of Oleron is the Fort Boyard, which was made famous by the French issuance of the same name: "Père Fouras" is not for nothing in the Fouras' celebrity .

Population


Vauban fortress

The "Vauban fortress" was initially a strategic fortification established by Philippe le Bel, circa 1300. The donjon was rebuilt in 1480-1490 by Jehan II de Brosse. In 1689, Ferry reinforced the walls of the Donjon to set up a battery of 9 canons and a signaling point. In 1693 a lower circular battery was set up to control access to the Charente River. The donjon received a signal station from 1889 to World War II.[1]

See also

References

  • INSEE

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.