World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gewehr 41

Article Id: WHEBN0000405232
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gewehr 41  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Mauser, StG 44, Walther Arms, Walther PP, G41
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gewehr 41

Gewehr 41
Gewehr 41 (Walther version)
Type Semi-automatic rifle
Place of origin Germany
Service history
In service 1941-1945
Used by Nazi Germany
Wars World War II
Production history
Designed 1941
Specifications
Weight 4.9 kg (11 lb)
Length 1,140 mm (45 in)
Barrel length 546 mm (21.5 in)

Cartridge 7.92×57mm Mauser
Action Gas-operated
Rate of fire 20 to 30 rounds per minute
Muzzle velocity 776 m/s (2,546 ft/s)[1]
Effective firing range 400 m (440 yd)
Feed system 10-round non-detachable magazine
Gewehr 41 (Mauser version) semi-automatic rifle

The Gewehr 41 rifles, commonly known as the G41(W) or G41(M), were semi-automatic rifles used by Nazi Germany during World War II.

Background

By 1940, it became apparent that some form of a semi-automatic rifle, with a higher rate of fire than existing bolt-action rifle models, was necessary to improve the infantry's combat efficiency. The Wehrmacht issued a specification to various manufacturers, and Mauser and Walther submitted prototypes that were very similar. However, some restrictions were placed upon the design:

  • no holes for tapping gas for the loading mechanism were to be bored into the barrel;
  • the rifles were not to have any moving parts on the surface;
  • and in case the auto-loading mechanism failed, a bolt action was to be included.

Both models therefore used a mechanism known as the "Bang" system (after its Danish designer Søren H. Bang). In this system, propellant gases were captured by a cone-shaped gas trap at the muzzle, which in turn deflected them to operate a small piston which in turn pushed on a long piston rod that opened the breech and re-loaded the gun. This is as opposed to the more common type of gas-actuated system, in which gases are tapped off from the barrel, and push back on a piston to open the breech to the rear. Both also included fixed 10-round magazines that were loaded using two of the stripper clips from the Karabiner 98k, utilizing the same German-standard 7.92×57mm Mauser rounds. This in turn made reloading relatively slow (as compared to rifles which had magazines that could be reloaded from a single unit, such as the M1 Garand, although it was typical for its time, being identical to the reloading procedure of the 10-round Lee–Enfield).

The Mauser design, the G41(M), failed. Only 6,673 were produced before production was halted, and of these, 1,673 were returned as unusable. Most metal parts on this rifle were machined steel and some rifles, especially later examples, utilized the Bakelite type plastic handguards. The Walther design was more successful because the designers had simply ignored the last two restrictions listed above.

These rifles, along with their G41(M) counterparts, suffered from gas system fouling problems. These problems seemed to stem from the overly complex muzzle trap system becoming excessively corroded from the use of corrosive salts in the ammunition primers, and carbon fouling. The muzzle assembly consisted of many small parts and was difficult to keep clean, disassemble, and maintain in field conditions. The rifle was redesigned in 1943 into the Gewehr 43, utilizing a gas system somewhat similar to that on the SVT-40 and a detachable magazine.

G41(W) rifles were produced at two factories, namely Walther at Zella Mehlis, and Berlin-Lübecker Maschinenfabrik. Walther guns bear the AC code, and WaA359 inspection proofs, while BLM guns bear the DUV code with WaA214 inspection proofs. These rifles are also relatively scarce, and quite valuable in collector grade. Varying sources put production figures between 40,000 and 145,000 units. Again, these rifles saw a high attrition rate on the Eastern front.

References

  1. ^ Chris Bishop (2002). The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II. Sterling Publishing Company. p. 217.  
  • "New German Semi-Automatic Rifle," Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 27, June 1943.

External links

  • Forgotten Weapons: Mauser Gewehr 41 (M)
  • Forgotten Weapons: Walther Gewehr 41 (W)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.