World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0015857961
Reproduction Date:

Title: Grivesnes  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Somme department, Schneider CA1, Arrondissement of Montdidier
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia



Coordinates: 49°41′18″N 2°28′18″E / 49.6883°N 2.4717°E / 49.6883; 2.4717Coordinates: 49°41′18″N 2°28′18″E / 49.6883°N 2.4717°E / 49.6883; 2.4717

Country France
Region Picardy
Department Somme
Arrondissement Montdidier
Canton Ailly-sur-Noye
Intercommunality Val de Noye
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Claude Dubois
 • Land1 18.75 km2 (7.24 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 357
 • Population2 density 19/km2 (49/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 80390 / 80250
Elevation 63–131 m (207–430 ft)
(avg. 125 m or 410 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Grivesnes is a commune in the Somme department in Picardie in northern France.


Grivesnes is situated on the D26 road, some 18 miles (29 km) south of Amiens.


A castle is reputed to have existed before the Jacquerie uprising of 1358 (which started in this district), but sources lack any substance.
A 15th century manor house was destroyed by Burgundian troops during their retreat from Beauvais after the victory of Jeanne Hachette.
Between 1611, the date of his marriage, and 1640, the date of his death, Louis of Goussencourt erected the principal parts of the château.
Enlarged in the 18th century, the château was very much part of the Ancien Régime and when, during the French revolution, it was decided to confiscate the property, the Count of Grivesnes didn’t oppose it, as his son (Louis-Henri (1766–1849)) had already emigrated to Quebec.
During the auctions of 1793 and 1794, the castle was sold as national property. An inhabitant of Grivesnes, Roch Théry, whose family had lived in the parish for more than two centuries, purchased some of the land as well as the mill, although it was later returned to its owners. The entire site was sold in 1899 to an Amiens notary by the name of Lenain.

During the First World War, the town was ravaged and all the community archives were destroyed. The castle, surrounded by a park of 19 hectares, comprised a distillery and a farm of 132 hectares, underwent shelling that damaged 66% of the property.
From March 29 to April 7, 1918, the town was the centre of a fierce battle.[1] Fighting hand-to-hand, with fixed bayonets, the French and British troops cut off the road to Amiens to the Germans. Many soldiers were buried in unmarked graves, without any ceremony.
In June 1990, a commemorative stele was erected by French and German ex-combatants.


Historical population of Grivesnes
Year 1962196819751982199019992006
Population 324325245266288291357
From the year 1962 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.

Places of interest

Grivesnes is fortunate to still have two ancient monuments, after the ravages of World War I.

  • The château. Around 1845, considerable restoration took place, replacing the original bright red-orange brick and white stone with sombre red bricks and grey stone. Modified again during the 1920s with little respect for its original appearance, with a shortened pavilion and roofed gracelessly.
  • The church was built from 1835 to 1842, in the park of the château, in the Restoration style. Recently classified as an important building of some significance.[2] Attached to the church is the vault of the noble family of Beaurepaires de Louvagny.
  • The château of Filescamps. (2 miles or so outside the village) After the bombardments of 1918, the building was ruined. All that’s left today is a farm and some outbuildings that once formed part of the chateau itself.

See also



External links

  • Grivesnes on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.