World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hôtel de Vendôme

 

Hôtel de Vendôme

The Hôtel de Vendôme in Paris

The Hôtel de Vendôme was built as a private home in Paris; the famous Jean-Baptiste Alexandre Le Blond worked on the hôtel.

The hôtel is the main relic of what once was the most popular convent in Paris, the Vauvert Charterhouse; founded by Saint-Louis and famous for its vineyard called the Clos de la Forge, on the location of which the School now stands!

From 1706 to 1707, the Carthusians, under Le Blond's superintendence had a great house built at the expense of Antoine de La Porte, canon of Notre-Dame (despite the legend, the architect was not Courtonne, but Jean-Baptiste Alexandre Le Blond, 1679-1719.

The Hotel was rented in 1714 by the Dowager Duchess of Vendôme who had it modified to its present condition two years later by Le Blond. The Duchess was the widow of Louis Joseph de Bourbon - the famous military general and greart grandson of Gabrielle d'Estrées; she was also the youngest grandchild of le Grand Condé.

The Dowager Duchess who died in 1718 killed by alcoholism, is probably no prestige sponsor for the residence, better illustrated by the family de Chaulnes who dwelt there from 1733 to 1758.

In particular by Michel Ferdinand d'Albert d'Ailly (1714-1769), Duke of Chaulnes. Member of the Academy of Sciences, he devoted his life to physics, and in particular to optics (Chaulnes's method, for measuring refraction indices) and measurement instruments; like all scientists of the time, he was interested in the sciences of nature and his Museum of Natural History was in these surroundings the unfortunately gone ancestor of the present collections who, alone, let one admire the renowned suite of rooms of the "Hôtel de Vendôme".

Today the hôtel is the home of the École nationale supérieure des mines de Paris.

References

  • MUSÉE DE L'ÉCOLE DES MINES DE PARIS

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.