World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Higuera de Llerena

Article Id: WHEBN0013124984
Reproduction Date:

Title: Higuera de Llerena  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of municipalities in Badajoz, Campiña Sur (Badajoz)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Higuera de Llerena

Higuera de Llerena, Spain
Country Spain
Autonomous community Extremadura
Province Badajoz
Municipality Higuera de Llerena
Area
 • Total 113 km2 (44 sq mi)
Elevation 552 m (1,811 ft)
Population (2005)
 • Total 392
 • Density 3.5/km2 (9/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)

Higuera de Llerena is a municipality located in the province of Badajoz, Extremadura, Spain. According to the 2005 census (INE), the municipality has a population of 392 inhabitants.

History

In 1594, the census population of the provinces and parties of the Crown of Castile in the 16th century were part of the state Lion of the Order of Santiago. It was a village of Llerena, with Cantalgayo and Maguilla.

Consolidation

Until 1786, it belonged to the municipality of Llerena.

In the fall of the Ancient Regime of the town, then known as Higuera, constitutes township in the region of Extremadura. From 1834, it became part of the judiciary party of Llerena. In the census of 1842 counted 66 households and 275 residents.

Tourism

Monuments and attractions

  • Church Our Lady of the Valley. (16th century)
  • Of the Calvary Chapel of Christ.
  • Ermita de San Isidro. In the hamlet of Rubiales. Recently restored by the Ministry of Development.
  • Archaeological site of Mesilla, yet to be excavated.

Local events

  • Feast of San Isidro (May 15). In the hamlet of Los Rubiales
  • Migrant Party (August)
  • Virgin Our Lady of the Valley (festival, September 8)

Coordinates: 38°22′N 6°00′W / 38.367°N 6.000°W / 38.367; -6.000

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.