World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Javerlhac-et-la-Chapelle-Saint-Robert

Article Id: WHEBN0008522801
Reproduction Date:

Title: Javerlhac-et-la-Chapelle-Saint-Robert  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Dordogne department, Arrondissement of Nontron, Saint Robert, Canton of Nontron, Bandiat, Saint-Martin-le-Pin
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Javerlhac-et-la-Chapelle-Saint-Robert

Javerlhac-et-la-Chapelle-Saint-Robert

Coat of arms
Javerlhac-et-la-Chapelle-Saint-Robert
Javerlhac-et-la-Chapelle-Saint-Robert

Coordinates: 45°34′14″N 0°33′41″E / 45.5706°N 0.5614°E / 45.5706; 0.5614Coordinates: 45°34′14″N 0°33′41″E / 45.5706°N 0.5614°E / 45.5706; 0.5614

Country France
Region Aquitaine
Department Dordogne
Arrondissement Nontron
Canton Nontron
Intercommunality Périgord nontronnais
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Roland Decourt
Area
 • Land1 29.25 km2 (11.29 sq mi)
Population (2008)
 • Population2 901
 • Population2 density 31/km2 (80/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 24214 / 24300
Elevation 115–221 m (377–725 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Javerlhac-et-la-Chapelle-Saint-Robert is a commune in the Dordogne department in Aquitaine in southwestern France. Javerlhac is in the Parc naturel régional Périgord Limousin.

Geography

The Bandiat river flows near the settlement of Javerlhac.

Population

History

The two parishes and communes of Javerlhac and La Chapelle-Saint-Robert were united in 1823.

In the last century, a railway line ran between Nontron (the sub prefecture) and Angoulême in the Charente via Javerlhac. Although the rails have long since been removed and bridges demolished, part of the permanent way beginning approximately 6 kilometers from Javerlhac towards Angoulême (Charenet region) has now been converted to a cycle and horse-riding path and is also used by walkers. This track has been surfaced with asphalt but is blocked to motor vehicles and in some cases bridges have been restored or replaced to keep the path intact.

Some of the station houses along the line still remain and have been converted for various purposes. The old station house in Javerlhac is still standing and in good repair. It is now used as the fire brigade station for the part-time fire service. Firefighters are summoned by a siren which is situated on the town hall and controlled by the mayor's office. In summer months the siren can be heard almost daily as hay barns and hay ricks catch fire. The siren is tested every Sunday at midday.

The road leading to the old station from Place du 8 Mai 1945, is still called Avenue de la Gare.


Sights

The château de Javerlhac dates back to the 15th century and has a water mill for the making of nut oil.

La Chapelle-Saint-Robert dates back to the 12th century, it features a Romanesque building which classifies as a historic monument.


Close to the Mayor's office and post office there is a monument dedicated to members of the community who died in both World Wars. About 5 kilometers from Javerlhac on the road to Angoulême, there are 3 small memorials to members of the resistance who were shot by the Nazis in World War II.

Just opposite the old church there is a mill on the river Bandiat which is still in working order although only to show tourists how it was in former days. In the grounds of the mill there is a dovecote which is still used by a number of pigeons.

People

The painter Fernand Desmoulin (1853–1914) lived in the village of Javerlhac. Javerlhac, like most of the surrounding towns and villages is host to a small population of expatriate British families, mostly retired couples. There is also a small number of Irish and a few Dutch expatriates in the area. This is noticeable in the advertisements by some estate agents in the area where a lot of their publications and adverts are in English. Also, some banks such as Credit Agricole in nearby Nontron, and a number of notaires have signs in their windows informing customers and clients that "English is spoken here".

See also

References

  • INSEE

External links

  • (French) History of Javerlhac
  • Javerlhac-et-la-Chapelle-Saint-Robert on the Quid site
  • Location of Javerlhac-et-la-Chapelle-Saint-Robert in the map of France
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.