World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Jean-Baptiste Claude Eugène Guillaume

Article Id: WHEBN0001313524
Reproduction Date:

Title: Jean-Baptiste Claude Eugène Guillaume  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of works by Eugène Guillaume, Louis-Pierre Baltard, Charles Forbes René de Montalembert, Palais Garnier, List of artworks in the collection of the Royal Society of Chemistry
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Jean-Baptiste Claude Eugène Guillaume

Eugène Guillaume in his studio, circa 1885–90.
Instrumental music, façade of the Palais Garnier in Paris

Jean-Baptiste Claude Eugène Guillaume (Montbard 4 July 1822 – 1 March 1905) was a French sculptor.


  • Biography 1
  • Works 2
  • See also 3
  • References 4


He was born at Montbard on the Côte-d'Or. He studied under Cavelier, Millet, and Barrias, at the École des Beaux-Arts, which he entered in 1841, and where he gained the prix de Rome in 1845 with Theseus finding on a rock his father's sword. He became director of the École des Beaux-Arts in 1864, and director-general of Fine Arts from 1878–79, when the office was suppressed.

Guillaume was a prolific writer, principally on sculpture and architecture of the Classic period and of the Italian Renaissance. He was elected member of the Académie française in 1898, and in 1891 was sent to Rome as director of the Académie de France in that city. He held this position until 1904. He was also elected an honorary member of the Royal Academy, London, 1869, on the institution of that class.


Many of his works have been bought for public galleries, and his monuments are to be found in the public squares of the chief cities of France. At Reims there is his bronze statue of Colbert, at Dijon his Rameau monument. The Musée du Luxembourg has his Anacreon (1852), Faucheur (1855), and the marble bust of Mgr Darboy; the Versailles Museum the portrait of Thiers; the Sorbonne Library the marble bust of Victor le Clerc, doyen de la faculté des lettres. Other works of his are at Trinity Church, Saint-Germain l'Auxerrois, and the church of St Clotilde, Paris. The Musée d'Orsay in Paris hosts Les Gracques (1853).

See also


  •  This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.