World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Jodie, West Virginia

Article Id: WHEBN0029012692
Reproduction Date:

Title: Jodie, West Virginia  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Fayette County, West Virginia
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Jodie, West Virginia

Jodie, West Virginia
Unincorporated community
Jodie, West Virginia
Jodie, West Virginia

Coordinates: 38°13′49″N 81°08′52″W / 38.23028°N 81.14778°W / 38.23028; -81.14778Coordinates: 38°13′49″N 81°08′52″W / 38.23028°N 81.14778°W / 38.23028; -81.14778

Country United States
State West Virginia
County Fayette
Elevation 705 ft (215 m)
Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
 • Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)
ZIP code 26690
Area code(s) 304 & 681
GNIS feature ID 1554812[1]

Jodie, also known as Imboden is an unincorporated community in Fayette County, West Virginia, United States. Jodie is located along the Gauley River, at the mouth of Rich Creek, 4 miles (6.4 km) northeast of Gauley Bridge.[2] Due to its proximity to the county line, Jodie is part of the Nicholas County ZIP code of 26690; it had its own post office until its closure on July 23, 2005.[3][4]


The first houses in the community were built by local logging companies in the late 1800s. The first post office was established in 1894, naming the town Imboden. The name of the town was changed to Jodie (the nickname of local congressman Joseph H. Gaines), in 1910. The Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad established a station in the community in 1912, named Bryce. In 1915, the Gauley Mountain Coal Company established Jodie as a coal town, utilizing existing lumber company houses as well as building additional ones to give the community its current look. A company store, movie theater, and boarding house was also built for the town, but they are now long gone. The houses were sold off to residents in the mid-1940s, and the local mines closed less than ten years later, forcing residents to commute elsewhere for employment.


Jodie is home to two churches; Jodie Baptist Church on the riverfront and Jodie Church of God located in "New-Town". The town cemetery is named Rich Creek. The annual Jodie Reunion is held every summer to welcome residents both past and present.


At one time, Jodie was connected to West Virginia Route 39 via ferry across the Gauley River. After the loss of the ferry in the early 1950s, residents were forced to rely on a 1926 C&O railroad bridge converted for automobile traffic until the C.D. Coleman Bridge was completed in the mid-2000s.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.