World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

John of Ford

Article Id: WHEBN0025440212
Reproduction Date:

Title: John of Ford  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bernard of Clairvaux, John Ford (disambiguation), Gilbert of Hoyland, Forde Abbey
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

John of Ford

John of Ford (c. 1140 – 21 April 1214) was the prior of the Cistercian monastery of Forde, then from 1186 abbot of its daughter house of Bindon, and between 1191 and 1214 the abbot of Forde. He was a friend and ally of King John during the papal interdict, receiving remuneration from the king.[1] While prior he wrote a biography of the local anchorite Wulfric of Haselbery (the Vita Wulfrici anchoretae Haselbergiae), and while abbot he completed the series of sermons on the Song of Songs begun by Bernard of Clairvaux and continued by Gilbert of Hoyland with 120 sermons on his own from the fifth chapter through the end of the book. In the centuries after his death in 1214, however, John of Ford was almost entirely forgotten. His 120 sermons survive in only a single manuscript.[2]

Notes

Modern editions

  • John of Ford, Sermons on the Final Verses of the Song of Songs, 7 vols, Cistercian Fathers series nos. 29, 39, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, (Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 1977-1984)
  • John of Forde, The Life of Wulfric of Haselbury, Anchorite, Translated with an Introduction and Notes by Pauline Matarasso. Cistercian Fathers series no. 79, (Trappist, KY; Collegeville, MN: Cistercian Publications; Liturgical Press, 2011)

Sources

  • C. J. Holdsworth. "John of Ford and the Interdict." English Historical Review, 78:309 (1963), 705–14.
  • C. J. Holdsworth. "John of Ford and English Cistercian Writing, 1167–1214." Transactions of the Royal Historical Society, Fifth Series, 11 (1961), 117–36.

Further reading

  • Hilary Costello. Sky-blue is the Sapphire, Crimson the Rose: Stillpoint of Desire in John of Forde. Cistercian Fathers Series, 69. Kalamazoo, MI: Cistercian Publications, 2006.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.