World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Kfar Masaryk

Kfar Masaryk
כְּפַר מַסָּרִיק

Kfar Masaryk in February, 2008.
Kfar Masaryk
Kfar Masaryk

Coordinates: 32°53′26.87″N 35°5′58.91″E / 32.8907972°N 35.0996972°E / 32.8907972; 35.0996972Coordinates: 32°53′26.87″N 35°5′58.91″E / 32.8907972°N 35.0996972°E / 32.8907972; 35.0996972

Council Mateh Asher
Region Western Galilee
Affiliation Kibbutz Movement
Founded 29 November 1938
Founded by Eastern European Jews
Name meaning Masaryk Village
Website www.kfar-masaryk.org.il

Kfar Masaryk (Hebrew: כְּפַר מַסָּרִיק, lit. Masaryk Village) is a kibbutz in northern Israel. Located in the western Galilee near the Belus River and south of Acre, it falls under the jurisdiction of Mateh Asher Regional Council. In 2006 it had a population of 598.

The founders were immigrants from Czechoslovakia and Lithuania and had settled in Petah Tikva in 1932. The following year they formed "Kibbutz Czecho-Lita" and moved to Bat Galim in Haifa. In 1934 they moved to an area of sand dunes near Kiryat Haim and changed the name of the group to "Mishmar Zevulun" (Guard of the Zevulun). In 1937 they were joined by a group of Polish immigrants who were members of Hayotzer.

Despite opposition from the Jewish Agency (who reasoned that the sandy soil could not support agriculture), Mishmar Zevulun was established on 29 November 1938 as the 29th tower and stockade settlement. In 1940 the kibbutz moved to its present site and was renamed Kfar Masaryk after Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk, the first President of Czechoslovakia

External links

  • Kibbutz website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.