World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kincardine-on-Forth

Article Id: WHEBN0004635416
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kincardine-on-Forth  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: James Dewar, George Elphinstone, 1st Viscount Keith, Kincardine Bridge, Fife Constabulary, Scottish Police College, Valleyfield, Fife
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kincardine-on-Forth

This article is about a town in Fife, Scotland. For other uses, see Kincardine (disambiguation).

Coordinates: 56°04′08″N 3°43′08″W / 56.069°N 3.719°W / 56.069; -3.719

Kincardine
Scottish Gaelic: Cinn Chàrdainn
Fife
Population 3,035 [1] (2001 census)
Council area Fife
Lieutenancy area Fife
Country Scotland
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town ALLOA
Postcode district FK10
Dialling code 01259
Police Scottish
Fire Scottish
Ambulance Scottish
EU Parliament Scotland
UK Parliament Dunfermline and West Fife
Scottish Parliament Dunfermline
List of places
UK
Scotland

Kincardine (Gaelic: Cinn Chàrdainn[2]) or Kincardine-on-Forth is a small town located on the north shore of the Firth of Forth, in Fife, Scotland. The town was given the status of a burgh of barony in 1663. It was at one time a reasonably prosperous minor port. The townscape retains many good examples of Scottish vernacular buildings from the 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries, although it was greatly altered during the construction of Kincardine Bridge in 1932-36.

Kincardine Bridge runs south from Kincardine. It is the main crossing-point of the Firth of Forth between the Forth Road Bridge and Stirling. Kincardine Bridge used to be a swing bridge and opened to large ships, but this was closed in a final ceremony in 1988. The bridge had seven spans made of steel. There was a large control room at the top of the bridge, this used to be manned to allow the operators to open the bridge to large ships and river traffic.

During the last twenty years the town has suffered increasing congestion as the numbers of vehicles using the bridge has increased. In 2005 this was partially eased by the opening of an eastern bypass connecting the bridge with the A985 Inverkeithing/Forth Road Bridge artery. In 2008 the western section of the town was bypassed with the opening of the Upper Forth Crossing which is officially called the Clackmannanshire Bridge.

Kincardine is also the location of the Scottish Police College at Tulliallan Castle on the outskirts of the town.

External links

  • Local information about Kincardine from the Kincardine Local History Group



References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.