World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lanesborough School

Article Id: WHEBN0023957305
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lanesborough School  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Guildford, Lanesborough, Royal Grammar School, Guildford, List of choir schools, List of schools in Surrey
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Lanesborough School

Lanesborough School
Established 1930
Type Preparatory day school
Headteacher Clare Turnbull

Maori Road
England Coordinates: 51°14′25″N 0°33′24″W / 51.2402°N 0.5566°W / 51.2402; -0.5566

DfE number
Students 350~
Gender Boys
Ages 3–13
Houses      Lancaster
Colours Blue

Lanesborough School is an independent, preparatory school in Guildford, Surrey. The school was established in 1930 and acts as the choir school for Guildford Cathedral. It is confused as the feeder school for the Royal Grammar School but is instead closely linked via its charity.


Lanesborough was founded in 1920 by Mr A. E. J. Inglis and Mr W. H. B. Walker.[1] Both were former assistant masters at Dulwich College. An initial advertisement stated ‘Boys will be prepared for Public School and the Royal Navy.’ There were only 19 pupils but, by the end of the year, numbers had risen to 55 boys. By 1935 there were 90 boys including a dozen or so boarders. The school continued to function during the war, and in 1949, Mr Stuart Swayne who had been serving in the armed forces returned to become joint headmaster. When Mr Inglis retired in 1953, Mr Swayne took over. Expansion continued in 1957 when the pre-prep department took occupancy of Braganza, a house in Aldersey Road. In 1964 another property in Aldersey Road called Kitano, became the Head’s house. Its grounds were donated as extra school playing fields. The grounds became their present size when they were further extended by the acquisition of gardens of Markham House in 1970.

Lanesborough’s connection with the Cathedral dates right back to 1957. Before it had even been consecrated, a forward looking provost, Walter Boulton decided to plan ahead and recruit some boy choristers from Lanesborough. In 1983 Lanesborough joined the Choir School’s Association.

The next watershed in the school’s history took place during 1978 when Lanesborough became ‘the feeder school’ of the Royal Grammar School. This was at a time when the Royal Grammar School was becoming independent of state control, and were worried that their usual intake from state primary schools would dry up once it became fee-paying. Academic standards were pushed higher with this liaison. However, unlike the majority of schools which has a junior and senior section, no guarantees are given for transfer. The school shared the same board of governors but was given a great deal of self-determination. Rising pupil numbers necessitated more space and further modernisation. In 1992 a new purpose built classroom block and gym was opened by Bernard Wetherill, the Speaker of the House of Commons, whose sons had attended the school. The latest acquisition, Markham House, was opened in 2000 it provided yet more purpose built rooms and a new Astroturf.


Lanesborough has educated Guildford Cathedral's choirboys for much of its existence. Compared to many cathedral choirs in England, Guildford's has a relatively short history and unlike them, Lanesborough does not provide boarding. All choirboys are pupils at the school and are scholarship holders.[2]

In May 1960, Barry Rose, the school's choir master, was appointed as the first Organist and Master of the Choristers of the new Guildford Cathedral, and a number of Lanesborough choir boys became part of the first Cathedral Choir.

Old Boys

The most famous "Old Boy" is Flight Lieutenant John Vere Hopgood DFC (1921-1943) a pilot during the war who died in the first wave of the Dambusters' raid into Germany. Guy Gibson, the commanding officer stated that in his opinion, "Hoppy" Hopgood, his second in command, was the best pilot in the squadron.


External links

  • Official website
  • ISC

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.