World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Le Cellier

Article Id: WHEBN0015810297
Reproduction Date:

Title: Le Cellier  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Loire-Atlantique department, List of twin towns and sister cities in Germany, Arrondissement of Ancenis, Château de Clermont
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Le Cellier

Le Cellier

The Saint-Méen chapel.

Coat of arms
Le Cellier
Le Cellier

Coordinates: 47°19′13″N 1°20′43″W / 47.3203°N 1.3453°W / 47.3203; -1.3453Coordinates: 47°19′13″N 1°20′43″W / 47.3203°N 1.3453°W / 47.3203; -1.3453

Country France
Region Pays de la Loire
Department Loire-Atlantique
Government
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Philippe des Jamonières
Area
 • Land1 35.99 km2 (13.90 sq mi)
Population (1999)
 • Population2 3,448
 • Population2 density 96/km2 (250/sq mi)
Time zone CET (GMT +1)
INSEE/Postal code Dialling codes 0240

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Le Cellier is a commune in the Loire-Atlantique department in western France.

Monuments and sites of interest

The commune lies on the north bank of the Loire River; this spot offers magnificent views.


The Château de Clermont, built between 1643 and 1649 by the Chenu, an old French family, was acquired by the Maupassant family. At the end of his life, the actor Louis de Funès came to live in the castle, which had been inherited by his wife, a descendant of the Maupassants.

In 2013 the mansion became a museum dedicated to Funes. The banks of the Loire were also visited by the poet René-Guy Cadou or the painter William Turner.

The Folies-Siffait are strange vestiges of architecture from the nineteenth century, hanging gardens overlooking the Loire River.[1] [2]

References

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.