World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lorraine American Cemetery and Memorial

Article Id: WHEBN0011319363
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lorraine American Cemetery and Memorial  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lorraine (duchy), Al Blozis, Frederick C. Murphy, American Battle Monuments Commission, Saint-Avold, Ruben Rivers, Willard Bowsky, David C. Waybur, Andrew Miller (Medal of Honor, 1944), Bill Guckeyson
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lorraine American Cemetery and Memorial

Lorraine American Cemetery and Memorial
American Battle Monuments Commission
View of headstones and memorial
Used for those deceased 1944–1945
Established September 1944 (Completed 1960)
Location
near Saint-Avold, (Moselle), France
Designed by

Murphy & Locraft, Washington, D.C. (Monument)

Allyn R. Jennings of Oley, Pennsylvania (Landscape)
Total burials 10,489
Total commemorated
444
Burials by nation
United States
Burials by war
Statistics source: Cemetery booklet

The Lorraine American Cemetery and Memorial, is located just outside of Saint-Avold, Moselle, France. It covers 113.5 acres (0.459 km2) and contains 10,489 graves, the largest number of any American World War II cemetery in Europe.[1] Those interred died mostly in the autumn of 1944 during the drive to the Siegfried Line as the Americans sought to expel the Germans; they were mainly part of the U.S. Third and Seventh Armies. The cemetery is administered by the American Battle Monuments Commission.

Notable burials include:

References

  1. ^ ABMC Lorraine Cemetery web page Retrieved 29 November 2014
  2. ^ Santschi, Darrell R. (February 23, 2014). "Riverside men to get top honor: Jesus S. Duran and Salvador J. Lara will be awarded the Medal of Honor". The Press-Enterprise. 

External links

  • American Battle Monuments Commission home page
  • ABMC Lorraine Cemetery video .wmv
  • ABMC Lorraine Cemetery booklet .pdf
  • Lorraine American Cemetery and Memorial Flickr group
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.