World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0016054617
Reproduction Date:

Title: Méharicourt  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Somme department, Arrondissement of Montdidier
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia



Coordinates: 49°47′58″N 2°43′58″E / 49.7994°N 2.7328°E / 49.7994; 2.7328Coordinates: 49°47′58″N 2°43′58″E / 49.7994°N 2.7328°E / 49.7994; 2.7328

Country France
Region Picardy
Department Somme
Arrondissement Montdidier
Canton Rosières-en-Santerre
Intercommunality Santerre
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Claude Lasalle
 • Land1 7.01 km2 (2.71 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 597
 • Population2 density 85/km2 (220/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 80524 / 80170
Elevation 78–94 m (256–308 ft)
(avg. 82 m or 269 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Méharicourt is a commune in the Somme department in Picardie in northern France.


The commune is situated on the D39 and D131 crossroads, some 25 miles (40 km) southeast of Amiens, in a small depression of a plateau, the start of the valley of the river Luce.


The village name has evolved over the centuries, from "Mahéricourt" in 1135, through "Maharicourt", "Méhatincourt" and "Méharicours en Sangter". Some Roman remains, of coffins, have been found in the area. There was possibly a small camp here. As with much of the region, it suffered during the Hundred Years War and again during the Wars of Religion.

Méharicourt was a place of pilgrimage to the martyrs Saint Candide and Saint Flamidien. Their relics were carried from Rome in 1688 and presented to St. Martin’s church by the Count of Tincourt.

By 1899, Méharicourt had three steam-powered factories employing 500 people making linen products, socks, stockings and hunting jackets.

The linen industry provided prosperity throughout the 18th and 19th centuries and the village became chef-lieu, a title it lost to Rosières in later years. During the 19th century, the village was invaded by Cossacks in 1814 – 1815.
In 1840, the streets were repaired and the church restored, by a grant of 3000 francs and the labour of the local unemployeed. The bell-tower, built in 1607, was reconstructed in 1842
A school for girls and a refuge were built in 1863.
The Second World War saw a German airfield built next to the village, with building materials taken from the town hall of Rosières.


Population history
1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2006
424 429 485 512 480 538 597
Starting in 1962: Population without duplicates

See also



External links

  • Méharicourt on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.