World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Misiones Department

Article Id: WHEBN0000715777
Reproduction Date:

Title: Misiones Department  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Districts of Paraguay, Miss Universo Paraguay 2005, Itapúa Department, Miss Paraguay 2009, Paraguay
Collection: Misiones Department, States and Territories Established in 1906
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Misiones Department

Misiones Department
Departamento de Misiones
Flag of Misiones Department
Coat of arms of Misiones Department
Coat of arms
Misiones shown in red
Misiones shown in red
Country  Paraguay
Region Eastern Region
Established 1906
Capital San Juan Bautista
Largest city San Ignacio
 • Governor Arturo Martínez (ANR)
 • Total 9,556 km2 (3,690 sq mi)
Area rank 12
Population (2007)[1]
 • Total 113,644
 • Rank 14
 • Density 12/km2 (31/sq mi)
Time zone AST (UTC-04)
 • Summer (DST) ADT (UTC-03)
ISO 3166 code PY-8
Number of Districts 10

Misiones (Spanish pronunciation: ) is a department located in the southern region of Paraguay. Its capital is San Juan Bautista. The eighth of Paraguay's 17 departments, it was created in 1906, then known as the San Ignacio Department, and was not given its present name until 1945. Its current name reflects its status as home to several Jesuit Reductions, or missions.

Misiones borders the departments of Paraguarí and Caazapá to the north, Itapúa to the east, Ñeembucú to the west, and the Corrientes Province of Argentina to the south.


  • History 1
  • Geography 2
  • Districts 3
  • Economy 4
  • Transportation 5
  • Education 6
  • Tourism 7
  • Bibliography 8
  • References 9
  • External links 10


San Juan Bautista.

The modern settling of Misiones began with the arrival of Jesuit missionaries to the region in the 17th century and the subsequent establishment of several reductions whose purpose was to both civilize and catechize the indigenous Guaraní peoples. While several of these reductions would ultimately be in Argentinian and Brazilian territory, 8 of the reductions would remain in Paraguay, concentrated in what would become the Misiones and Itapúa departments. Some of these reductions, namely San Ignacio Guazú, Santa Maria de Fe and Santiago would become the foundation for subsequent towns in Misiones.

The town of Yabebyry was established in 1790, and later, during the presidency of Carlos Antonio López, the towns of San Miguel and San Juan Bautista were founded. When the Misiones department was created in 1906 as the San Ignacio department, these towns were made several of the department's first 8 districts, along with Santa Rosa, Ayolas and Villa Florida. When the department was renamed in 1945, its capital was moved from San Ignacio to San Juan Bautista.


Misiones department is relatively flat and crossed by a number of rivers and streams. The northern and southern borders of the department are formed by, respectively, the Tebicuary and the Paraná rivers, the latter of which is an important waterway in the region. A number of other streams cross the department, including the Yabebyry, Atingui, San Roque, Sauce, Uruguay, Ca'a Po'i, Tororo, San Tadeo, San Antonio and Itay.


The department is divided into ten districts:

District Area (km²) Population (2002)
Ayolas 1060 15.219
San Ignacio 2020 24.003
San Juan Bautista 2300 16.563
San Miguel 540 5.253
San Patricio 190 3.570
Santa María 520 7.385
Santa Rosa 1010 17.612
Santiago 740 6.753
Villa Florida 196 2.576
Yabebyry 984 2.854
San Ignacio Guasú.


San Miguel

The basic economical activity of this department is the cattle breeding. This is the main production . Also they have pigs, sheep, horses and goats, this one is the least. Regarding the agriculture, the fields are mainly in the north and center of the department. In its lands they can grow rice, soya, corn, sweet oranges, sugar cane, sweet potatoes, cotton and potatoes.


Misiones is connected to Asunción and Encarnación via Route 1, the Mariscal Francisco Solano López Highway, which passes through Villa Florida, San Miguel, San Juan Bautista, San Ignacio, Santa Rosa and San Patricio. The southern part of the department is also accessible to the Paraná River, which is navigable by large cargo ships downstream of the Yacyretá Dam near Ayolas. The Route 4 connects Misiones with Ñeembucú department. Small airports are also located in San Juan Bautista and in Ayolas (Juan de Ayolas Airport) to the south.


There are numerous institutions which provide Pre-school Education, Elementary and Highschool . with Technical and Scientific emphasis.


Villa Florida

Its main attractions are the beaches formed by the rivers Paraná and Tebicuary. Villa Florida is a city which offers landscapes to its visitors. This department is known by the work of evangelizing by the Jesuits priests who founded the place with many reductions. A few towns still have the remains of that era such as the colonial churches.

Part of the historical remains is exposed in Museums with many samples of wooden carvings made by the Indians at the reductions period.


  • Geografía del Paraguay - Editorial Hispana Paraguay S.R.L.- 1a. Edición 1999 - Asunción Paraguay
  • Geografía Ilustrada del Paraguay - ISBN 99925-68-04-6 - Distribuidora Arami S.R.L.
  • La Magia de nuestra tierra. Fundación en Alianza. Asunción. 2007.


  1. ^ 2007 Statistic by the DGEEC.

External links

  • Mission Tours
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.