World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

National University of Theatre, Film and TV in Kiev

Article Id: WHEBN0004821049
Reproduction Date:

Title: National University of Theatre, Film and TV in Kiev  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kiev Conservatory, List of culture universities in Ukraine, Culture universities in Ukraine, Yuliy Meitus, Les Tanyuk
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

National University of Theatre, Film and TV in Kiev

Main building
Main office is at vulytsia Yaroslaviv Val, 40
Main entrance

The National University of theatre, cinema and television of Karpenko-Kary is the national university specializing exclusively in performing arts and located in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. It is a multidisciplinary institution that includes a department of theatrical arts and the Institute of Screen Arts. The university has four campuses around the city of Kiev and a separate student dormitory. The rector of university is the native of Kiev, Oleksiy Bezghin.


The institution was for the first registered in the Russian Ministry of the Internal Affairs on March 5, 1899 as a music-drama school, but only opened in September 1904. On November 7, 1912 the school was honorary named in the memory of Mykola Lysenko who was its first director. The sponsorship came from Mykola Levytsky and Mykhailo Starytsky, a father-in-law of Ivan Steshenko. The school was opened in the building belonging to the professor-psychiatrist I. Sikorsky on the 15 Velyka Pidvalna street (today Yarslaviv Val). Upon the death of Mykola Lysenko the school chairman became O. Vonsovska, the school violin instructor, and then pianist Maryana Lysenko, the daughter of M.Lysenko.

In 1916-1917 there opened the theatrical studio of Les Kurbas. At the end of 1918 the chairman of artistic affairs and national culture Petro Doroshenko signed the document to transform the school into the Higher music-drama school of Mykola Lysenko. During 1919-1920 the first rector of the school was Felix Blumenfeld. Sometime in the span of the Russian Civil War the Bolshevik government approved the request to move the school to 45 Velyka Volodymyrivska street (today it is the Palace of scientists of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine). In 1922 the school was moved again to 52 Khreshchatyk, a place it rents to this day from the local municipal administration. In 1924-1928 the rector of the school became Mykola Hrinchenko.

During the World War II (1941-43) the university was merged with the Russian Academy of Theatre Arts in

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.