World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Nikkō Line

Nikkō Line
A 205 series EMU on the Nikko Line, April 2013
Type Regional rail
Locale Tochigi Prefecture
Termini Utsunomiya
Stations 7
Opened 1890
Owner JR East
Rolling stock 205-600 series EMUs
Line length 40.5 km (25.2 mi)
Track gauge 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
Electrification 1,500 V DC overhead catenary
Route map

The Nikkō Line (日光線 Nikkō-sen) is a railway line operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) which connects Utsunomiya to Nikkō.

Both the Tobu and JR East railway stations in Nikkō are located within walking distance of each other.


  • Station list 1
  • Rolling stock 2
    • Former rolling stock 2.1
  • History 3
    • Former connecting lines 3.1
  • References 4
  • External links 5

Station list

  • Trains can pass each other at any station.
Station Japanese Distance (km) Transfers Location
Utsunomiya 宇都宮 - 0.0 Tohoku Shinkansen, Akita Shinkansen, Tohoku Main Line (Utsunomiya Line), Shōnan-Shinjuku Line Utsunomiya Tochigi
Tsuruta 鶴田 4.8 4.8  
Kanuma 鹿沼 9.5 14.3   Kanuma
Fubasami 文挟 8.1 22.4   Nikkō
Shimotsuke-Ōsawa 下野大沢 5.8 28.2  
Imaichi 今市 5.7 33.9  
Nikkō 日光 6.6 40.5 Tōbu Nikkō Line (Tōbu-Nikkō)

Rolling stock

Former rolling stock


The handcar-operated Tochigi Prefectural Government line

The Nippon Railway Co. opened the line in 1890 and was nationalised in 1906. The line was electrified in 1959, and CTC signalling was commissioned in 1970. Freight services ceased in 1984.

Former connecting lines

  • Tsuruta Station:

The Tochigi Prefectural Government opened a 3 km 2 ft (610 mm) gauge line to Nishihara-cho in 1897, extending it 10 km to Yoshihara in 1899 and opening a 4 km branch to Tokujiro the following year. Handcar passenger services commenced on both lines from opening, operating until 1928. A 7.5 km branch from Nishihara-cho to Tateiwa was opened in 1898 to haul gravel.

In 1931, the lines were purchased by the Tobu Railway Co. which closed all bar the Tateiwa branch, which it converted to 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in) gauge and built a connection to Nishi-Kawada station on the Tobu Utsunomiya Line. The Tateiwa branch ceased operation in 1961 following a landslide and was formally closed in 1964.

  • Nikko Station:

The Nikko Electric Railway Co. opened an 8 km line electrified at 600 V DC to Iwanohana between 1907 and 1913, and extended it 2 km to Umakae (approximately 300 m higher than Nikko) in 1931 to connect to a 1.2 km funicular railway that climbed 428 m which opened in 1932. In 1944, electric locomotives began hauling copper ore on the line. Freight tonnage decreased 25% between 1964 and 1966, and passenger numbers decreased by 17% over the same period, resulting in the line closing in 1968. The funicular railway closed in 1970.


This article incorporates material from the corresponding article in the Japanese WorldHeritage

  1. ^ a b 日光線用107系が営業運転を終了 [Nikko Line 107 series withdrawn from service]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 16 March 2013. Retrieved 1 April 2013. 

External links

  • Stations of the Nikkō Line (JR East) (Japanese)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.