World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Oak Street Bridge

Article Id: WHEBN0002404159
Reproduction Date:

Title: Oak Street Bridge  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Marpole, Queensborough Bridge, Lions Gate Bridge, BowMac sign, Royal Centre (Vancouver)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Oak Street Bridge

Oak Street Bridge
Coordinates
Carries Four lanes of British Columbia Highway 99, pedestrians and bicycles
Crosses North Arm Fraser River
Locale Vancouver
Richmond
Maintained by British Columbia Ministry of Transportation
Preceded by Marpole Bridge (first)
Characteristics
Design girder bridge
History
Opened 1957

The Oak Street Bridge is a four-lane bridge crossing the Fraser River connecting Vancouver to Richmond in British Columbia. The main spans are heavy steel deck plate girders continuous over three spans of 60.9, 91.4 and 60.9 metres. The bridge is a part of Highway 99.

History

The Oak Street Bridge opened in June 1957. During the planning, it was the "New Marpole Bridge" and steel plate girders salvaged from the second Granville Street Bridge made barges for constructing the foundations of the Oak Street Bridge.

After the bridge opened, traffic began to move several blocks to the east. The business districts along Hudson Street and Marine Drive went into a swift decline.

Tolls were charged for two years and $1 million was collected in the last year. Tolls were removed from all of the bridges in the Lower Mainland in the 1960s, although the recently opened Golden Ears and Port Mann bridges utilize electronic tolling systems.

The Oak Street Bridge was meant to partially replace the Marpole Bridge, just to the west, connecting Vancouver to Sea Island, on which the Vancouver International Airport is located. The Marpole Bridge was dismantled the same year the Oak Street Bridge opened.

In 1995 two lanes of the bridge were closed alternately for resurfacing the concrete deck. A median barrier and higher curbs were also installed, and its earthquake resistance was enhanced.

See also

References

  • Bridges of Greater Vancouver


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.