World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Odéon

Article Id: WHEBN0025551961
Reproduction Date:

Title: Odéon  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Philip Glass, Sarah Bernhardt, Hector Berlioz, Émile Augier, Victorien Sardou, Charles Fechter, Joseph Autran, Odéon (Paris Métro), Casimir Delavigne, Louise Bénédicte de Bourbon
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Odéon

For other theatres with this name, see Odeon

Coordinates: 48°50′58.2″N 2°20′19.5″E / 48.849500°N 2.338750°E / 48.849500; 2.338750

Odéon-Théâtre de l'Europe
Facade of the Odéon-Théâtre de l'Europe
Address 2 rue Corneille, 6th arrondissement of Paris
City Paris
Architect Pierre Thomas Baraguay
Capacity 800
Opened 1782
Reopened 1808
Rebuilt 1819
Other names Théâtre-Français du Faubourg Saint-Germain (1782-1789)
Théâtre de la Nation (1789-1793)
Théâtre de l'Égalité (1794-1796)
Théâtre de l'Impératrice et Reine (1808-1818)
Second Théâtre-Français (1819-1990)
Website
www.theatre-odeon.fr

The Odéon-Théâtre de l'Europe (formerly the Théâtre de l'Odéon) is one of France's six national theatres.

It is located at 2 rue Corneille in the 6th arrondissement of Paris on the left bank of the Seine, next to the Luxembourg Garden. It was originally built between 1779 and 1782, in the garden of the former Hôtel de Condé, to a Neoclassical design by Charles De Wailly and Marie-Joseph Peyre. The Odéon was originally intended to house the Comédie Française, which, however, preferred to stay at the Théâtre-Français in the Palais Royal. The new theatre was inaugurated by Marie-Antoinette on April 9, 1782.[1] It was there that Beaumarchais' play The Marriage of Figaro was premiered two years later.

An 1808 reconstruction of the theater designed by Jean Chalgrin (architect of the Arc de Triomphe) was officially named the Théâtre de l'Impératrice, but everyone still called it the Odéon.[2] It burned in 1818.

The third and present structure, designed by Pierre Thomas Baraguay, was opened in September 1819. In 1990, the theater was given the sobriquet 'Théâtre de l'Europe'. It is a member theater of the Union of the Theatres of Europe.


Access

Located near the metro stationOdéon.

References

Notes
Sources
  • Hemmings, F. W. J. (1994). Theatre and State in France, 1760–1905. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-03472-2 (2006 reprint).

External links

  • Official website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.