World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Old Craven Park

Article Id: WHEBN0007407726
Reproduction Date:

Title: Old Craven Park  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Hull Kingston Rovers, Craven Park, Hull, Sports venues in Kingston upon Hull, West Hull, Hull Dockers
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Old Craven Park

Old Craven Park was a stadium in Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It was the home of Hull Kingston Rovers rugby league club between 1922 and 1989.

Hull KR moved to Craven Park from their cramped Craven Street ground in 1922. The club purchased and developed a site behind the tram and bus depot on the eastern end of Holderness Road and it hosted its first game on 2 September 1922. The ground staged Great Britain Test matches in 1926 (a 21–11 win against New Zealand) and in 1929 (an 8–31 loss to Australia).

Craven Park also hosted greyhound racing. Hull Kingston Rovers sold the ground to the Greyhound Racing Company in 1930s due to financial difficulties, securing a long term lease to continue playing there.

In the early 1970s Hull Kingston Rovers purchased a site at Winchester Avenue with the aim of building a new stadium there. These plans never came to fruition and the site was later sold to a private developer. The profit made from this land was used to buy back Craven Park with greyhound racing continuing as a subsidiary concern.

Following the Bradford City stadium fire, capacity was restricted and costs of safety work spiraled. With the club in debt the ground was sold to developers and the final game was played there on 9 April 1989.

The ground was demolished and a supermarket was built on the land originally belonging to originally called ??? then Co-op, it is now occupied by Morrisons.

Structure

The old Craven Park had an East Stand standing area, near the tram and bus depot, and seating opposite in the Main Stand.

See also


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.