World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Palayam Juma Masjid

Article Id: WHEBN0025153757
Reproduction Date:

Title: Palayam Juma Masjid  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Juma Masjid, Pullancheri, Wayanad Muslim Orphanage, Thiruvananthapuram Golf Club, Geography of Thiruvananthapuram, Jama Masjid, Nagpur
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Palayam Juma Masjid

Juma Masjid
Basic information
Location Palayam, Thiruvananthapuram, India
Affiliation Islam
Territory Keralam
District Thiruvananthapuram
Ecclesiastical or organizational status Mosque
Architectural description
Architectural type Mosque
Architectural style Islamic
Specifications
Capacity 2000
Length m
Width m
Minaret height m
Spire height 000 m

Masjid-i Jahān-Numā (Juma Masjid (Congregational Mosque). The burial of the famous literary celebrity Kamala Suraiyya alias Madhavikutty or Kamala Das was performed in the compound of Palayam Juma Masjid.

The Juma Masjid, Palayam Mosque is the most important mosque in Thiruvananthapuram. In Palayam, the mosque has a temple and a Christian church as its neighbours, establishing the communal harmony of Keralites.[1]

History

The history of the Palayam Mosque at Trivandrum dates back to 1813 AD, when the British Indian Second Regiment was stationed here. It was then constructed as a small mosque (Pattalappalli), with an open place for 'ld' prayers. In 1824 when the sixth regiment was posted here its officers bought up the land appointed a Quazl and entrusted the Muazin the documents of the mosque. In 1848, when the sixteenth regiment came here its Jamadaars and Havildars did considerable improvements to the mosque including the construction of a gate and arrangements for the maintenance and upkeep of the mosque building. When other regiments were stationed here, its officers brought about further changes and improvements. Thus the mosque is nearly 200 years old.

Later, in the 1960s, many philanthropic businessmen and government officials of Trivandrum took up its renovation and constructed the present-day Palayam Juma Masjid under the leadership of the Qazi and Imam Moulavi Sheikh Abul Hassan Ali Noori. The Juma Masjid was inaugurated by the president of India Dr. Zakir Hussain in 1967. Sheikh Abul Hassan Ali Noori (1921–2011), a freedom fighter, multilingual scholar and the first Imam of Palayam Juma Masjid who served here for close to two decades (1959–1979), helped elevate to its present-day status from a ‘pattalappalli’, during his tenure as Imam.

First Imam

Sheikh Abul Hassan Ali was born in 1921 in Thenkassi. He had his schooling in Rajapalayam and did his graduation in Tanjavur. He left for Burma for his post graduation. After that, he became a teacher in Rangoon. He was proficient in nine languages including Arabic, Urdu, Persian, Malay and Burmese. In 1942, he became active in the Quit India Movement in Uttar Pradesh and Delhi. He became an Imam in Thenkasi in 1952. From 1959 onwards, close to two decades, he was the imam at the Palayam Juma Masjid. A noted orator, social reformer and teacher, he entertained a progressive outlook, championing women’s education, criticising the dowry system and promoting interest-free banking. 'Darul amanath' — an interest-free microfinance system in 1970 — launched under his guidance. The author of several books, he has several cassettes on Quran recitals.

References

  1. ^ "Palayam Juma Masjid". tvmonnet.com. Retrieved 21 November 2009. 

External links

Website - http://palayamjumamasjid.org/

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.