World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Paris Law Faculty

Article Id: WHEBN0022691540
Reproduction Date:

Title: Paris Law Faculty  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pantheon, Francis Ponge, Michèle Alliot-Marie, Ivo Pilar, Georges Frêche, Donald Mackenzie Wallace, Hélie de Noailles
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Paris Law Faculty

The structure designed by Jacques-Germain Soufflot for the Paris Law Faculty, on place du Panthéon.
Timetable of the School of Law of Paris (1847–1848).

The Paris Law Faculty (French: Faculté de droit de Paris) was one of the four and eventually five[1] faculties of the University of Paris.

Until the 19th century, the Paris Law Faculty was called "Faculté de décret" or "Consultissima decretorum". After the Edict of Saint-Germain of April 1679 reestablished the teaching of Roman law in Paris (which had been forbidden since 1223 by the decretal Super Specula), the faculty was known as the "faculty of civil and canon law". It was closed alongside other faculties on September 15, 1793, during the French Revolution.

In 1802, the faculty of law was re-opened, and was called "the School of Law of Paris" (l'École de droit de Paris). In 1896, the law faculty and the henceforth four other Parisian faculties were grouped together to recreate the University of Paris. In the late 1950s, it became a "faculty of law and economics". Following the events of May 1968, the University of Paris was divided into thirteen universities and its faculties were incorporated into them;[2] most of the law professors went to Panthéon-Assas University.[3]

References

  1. ^ Abt & Riess, p. 276.
  2. ^ Décret no 70-928 du 8 octobre 1970.
  3. ^ Conac, p. 190.

Sources

  • Abt, Lawrence Edwin; Riess, Bernard Frank, ed. (1966). Progress in Clinical Psychology. Grune & Stratton. 
  • Conac, Gérard (2005). "La fondation de l'université Paris I : François Luchaire, pilote d'une transition institutionnelle". In Bougrab, Jeannette; Maus, Didier. François Luchaire, un républicain au service de la République (in French). Publications de la Sorbonne. ISBN . 
  • Décret no</sup> 70-928 du 8 octobre 1970 (in French).

Further reading

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.