Pont des invalides

Coordinates: 48°51′49″N 02°18′37″E / 48.86361°N 2.31028°E / 48.86361; 2.31028

Pont des Invalides
Pont des Invalides illuminated at night
Official name Pont des Invalides
Crosses Seine
Locale Paris, France
Maintained by Civil Service
Design Arch Bridge
Total length 152 m (499 ft)
Width 18 m (59 ft)
Opened 1855 (current structure)
Coordinates

48°51′52″N 02°18′37″E / 48.86444°N 2.31028°E / 48.86444; 2.31028

The Pont des Invalides is the lowest bridge traversing the Seine in Paris.

History

The story of this bridge started in 1821, when engineer Claude Navier conceived a technologically revolutionary bridge that crossed the Seine in one single reach without any point of support in between. The proposed suspension bridge, the construction of which started in 1824, was meant to be erected opposite to the Hotel des Invalides on the site of the current Pont Alexandre III. Due to cracks in some parts of the bridge and gradual settling, the project was abandoned before the bridge even made it into service.

In response to complaints from the defenders of the Invalides perspective, the Public Services decided to shift the bridge site upriver. Therefore, in 1829, two engineers, de Verges and Bayard de la Vingtrie, completed the construction of a proper suspension bridge supported by two piers in the Seine and three porticos, each 20 m in height.[1] Unfortunately, due to rapidly growing wear on the bridge, its access had to be regulated in 1850.

In 1854, the bridge was demolished to be replaced by a new one in time for the upcoming 1855 World Fair in Paris. Paul-Martin Gallocher de Lagalisserie and Jules Savarin used the existing piers of the former suspension bridge and a newly-added central pier to build an arch bridge in masonry on the same site. The new pier was adorned with sculptures in two allegorical themes: the Land Victory by Victor Vilain upriver; the Maritime Victory by Georges Diébolt downstream, whereas the two old piers were adorned with sculptures of military trophies bearing the imperial coat of arms, both the work of Astyanax-Scévola Bosio.

Despite being stronger, the new bridge still sustained a subsidence between 25 to 30 cm in 1878, and lost two arches during the winter of 1880 (restored by the end of the year). The bridge has been quite secure since then and the only modification made in the 20th century was the expansion of its pavement in 1956.

References

External links

  • (French)Bridge history
  • (French)More bridge history

Access

Located near the metro stationChamps-Élysées - Clemenceau.
Located near the metro stationLa Tour-Maubourg.
Located near the metro stationAlma - Marceau.

Location

Bridge location on the Seine:

Bridge location
Downstream:
Pont de l'Alma
Upstream:
Pont Alexandre III
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.