World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Saulgau

Article Id: WHEBN0006889803
Reproduction Date:

Title: Saulgau  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of subcamps of Dachau, Roman Catholic Diocese of Rottenburg-Stuttgart, Bad Waldsee, Johann Caspar Bagnato, Hartwig Altenmüller, Unlingen, Ana Timotić, Württemberg Cup
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Saulgau

Bad Saulgau

Saint John the Baptist Church

Coat of arms
Bad Saulgau
Bad Saulgau

Coordinates: 48°1′3″N 9°30′1″E / 48.01750°N 9.50028°E / 48.01750; 9.50028Coordinates: 48°1′3″N 9°30′1″E / 48.01750°N 9.50028°E / 48.01750; 9.50028

Country Germany
State Baden-Württemberg
Admin. region Tübingen
District Template:Link if exists
Subdivisions 14
Government
 • Mayor Doris Schröter
Area
 • Total 97.34 km2 (37.58 sq mi)
Elevation 587 m (1,926 ft)
Population (2012-12-31)[1]
 • Total 17,080
 • Density 180/km2 (450/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 88348
Dialling codes 07581
Vehicle registration SIG
Website www.bad-saulgau.de

Bad Saulgau is a town in the district of Sigmaringen, in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is situated 23 km east of Sigmaringen, and 27 km north of Ravensburg between the Danube and Lake Constance.

The location was already a Celtic settlement and owes its name to the spring goddess Sulis. The first historical reference to the settlement dates back to 819. In 1239, the town was acknowledged by Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor. It became a possession of the House of Habsburg in 1299, and thus part of the Holy Roman Empire.

In Napoleonic times, it was given to the Kingdom of Württemberg. During World War II, a subcamp of the Dachau concentration camp was located in the town.[2] The name of the town was officially changed in 2000 from Saulgau to Bad Saulgau.

Coat of arms District Inhabitants Area
Bad Saulgau (main locality) 11.673 5690 ha
Bierstetten and Steinbronnen 591 615 ha
Bolstern and Heratskirch 417 1206 ha
Bondorf 333 278 ha
Braunenweiler/Untereggartsweiler 553 1005 ha
Friedberg 406 541 ha
Fulgenstadt 672 673 ha
Großtissen and Kleintissen 374 669 ha
Haid-Sießen-Bogenweiler 874 1320 ha
Hochberg and Luditsweiler 579 664 ha
Lampertsweiler 302 252 ha
Moosheim 337 443 ha
Renhardsweiler 273 170 ha
Wolfartsweiler 275 351 ha

Notes

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.