World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St. Andre sur Orne

Article Id: WHEBN0016306782
Reproduction Date:

Title: St. Andre sur Orne  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Orne, Orne (river)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St. Andre sur Orne

Saint-André-sur-Orne
Saint-André-sur-Orne
Saint-André-sur-Orne

Coordinates: 49°07′09″N 0°22′55″W / 49.1192°N 0.3819°W / 49.1192; -0.3819Coordinates: 49°07′09″N 0°22′55″W / 49.1192°N 0.3819°W / 49.1192; -0.3819

Country France
Region Lower Normandy
Department Calvados
Arrondissement Caen
Canton Bourguébus
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Christian Delbruel
Area
 • Land1 3.68 km2 (1.42 sq mi)
Population (2008)
 • Population2 1,947
 • Population2 density 530/km2 (1,400/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 14556 / 14320
Elevation 3–53 m (9.8–173.9 ft)
(avg. 30 m or 98 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Saint-André-sur-Orne (named Saint-André-de-Fontenay until 1911) is a village in the Calvados department in the Basse-Normandie region in northwestern France.

Geography

Saint-André-sur-Orne is situated on the Orne River, 7 km south of Caen and 35 km south-east of Bayeux.

History

The village's history is closely linked to the Saint Stephen abbey "Abbaye Saint-Étienne-de-Fontenay" founded on his land of Fontenay by Raoul Tesson around 1047 under the patronage of Duke William of Normandy (before he became King of England following his victory in Hastings in 1066) and which survived until the French Revolution at the end of the 18th century. Most of the abbey was destroyed at the beginning of the 19th century, but there still remains a 13th century building along the Orne river, and the abbot's more "modern" house (not visited) rebuilt at the beginning of the 18th century.

The village witnessed the expulsion of many schoolchildren from the "Maison du Clos" by the Nazi army during World War II, but the marching children were then rescued by Allied soldiers.[1] The village was finally liberated in July 1944 by Canadian soldiers, many of whom died in this fierce battle, hence the street names of "Royal Back Watch" (the Montreal-based regiment) and the village's main street "Rue des Canadiens". Their bodies are buried in the Bretteville-sur-Laize Canadian War Cemetery in the nearby village of Cintheaux.

Population

See also

References

  • INSEE


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.