World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St Taurin

Article Id: WHEBN0013681533
Reproduction Date:

Title: St Taurin  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Fore Abbey, Roman Catholic Diocese of Évreux
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St Taurin

Saint Taurinus
Honored in Roman Catholic Church
Major shrine Évreux
Feast August 11

Saint Taurinus of Évreux (died ca. 410), also known as Saint Taurin, is venerated as a saint by the Catholic Church. His legend states that he was the first bishop of Évreux. He evangelized the region and died a martyr.

Legend

His largely legendary life is known through a manuscript of the 10th century, itself based on a ninth-century text. The legendary life was written by a monk named Deodatus, who added details according to the standard passiones of the time. The life of Saint Taurinus states that an angel appeared to Taurinus’ mother Eustycia (Eusticie) to announce that her son would have a great destiny. His godfather was Pope Clement I, who entrusted Taurinus to Denis the Areopagite (misidentified with Denis, first bishop of Paris), who in turn was considered one of the first disciples of Saint Paul. Thus, the legend assured that there was an "apostolic succession" from Paul directly to the episcopate of Évreux.

The garbling of dates and traditions thus ensures that it is impossible to date the time of Taurinus' episcopacy, although scholars usually place it at the beginning of the fourth or in the middle of the fifth century.

His legend further states that Taurinus faced a demon at Évreux that took three shapes: that of a lion, a bear and a buffalo. These metamorphoses either represented various deadly sins, or represented the official Roman religion (lion), the worship of Diana (bear), and the local agrarian-based religions (the buffalo). According to Orderic Vitalis in his Historia Ecclesiastica, Taurinus expelled the demon from the local temple of Diana, and when it obeyed his order to break its own idols it was not immediately cast into the Pit, but was instead punished by remaining in the place where it had ruled while seeing the people it had tormented saved. He reported that it was known by the local people as Gobelinus, and still haunted Évreux, appearing in various shapes, but hurt no-one.[1]


A number of miracles were associated with Taurinus. His legend states that he raised a girl, Euphrasia, from the dead after she died in a fire. After he had done so, there was no trace of burn marks on her. Taurinus’ miracle led to 120 converts. Taurinus is also said to have challenged the demon that resided in the statue of the goddess Diana. Having been vanquished, the demon, a small, dark, and bearded being, left the statue. Taurinus then converted the local pagan temple into a church, dedicating it to the Virgin Mary. Two priests of the goddess, Cambise and Zara, had attempted to stop Taurinus from entering the temple, but they were immobilized after the bishop made the sign of the cross. They then asked to be converted to Christianity. Taurinus also brought back to life Marinus, the son of the local prefect, who had fallen into a hole and died from the impact. After a short prayer, Taurinus revived the young man. At once, Marinus requested baptism for himself and his entourage, and 1200 other people.

After Taurinus' death, Maximus of Evreux was sent by Pope Damasus I to continue his predecessor's work.

Veneration

A monastery dedicated to Taurinus was built around the sixth century; it was restored in the tenth century at the instigation of Richard I of Normandy. Taurinus' relics were translated to various places. In 892, Bishop Sebarius (Sébar) transferred some of his relics to Lezoux (Puy-de-Dôme). Some of this Lezoux group of relics was later carried to the Abbey of Cluny. The remaining group was transferred to Gigny (Jura), and their presence there is attested as of the 12th century. Other relics were deposited in the church of Pézy before being transferred in 1024 to Chartres Cathedral.

In 1035, the abbey of Saint-Taurin was placed under the jurisdiction of the Abbey of Fécamp, which also claimed the body of Taurinus. The monks of Saint-Taurin claimed that they owned a part of the saint’s relics. In 1247, Gislebert de Saint-Martin, abbot of Saint-Taurin, had a reliquary (see gallery) built to house the remaining relics.

Notes

Sources

  • La Légende de saint Taurin - A.M. Baudot - 1929
  • Les Saints du diocèse d'Évreux - Abbé de Bouclon
  • Histoire du diocèse d'Évreux - Chanoine Bonnenfant - Paris - 1933
  • Histoire et géographie du département de l'Eure - Rateau et Pinet - 1870 - Réédition 1988
  • Connaissance de l'Eure - Juillet 1991 - Numéro 81 - pages 26–27 - Jacques Charles
  • Connaissance de l'Eure - 1988 - Jacques Charles
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.