World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Tobu Sano Line

Article Id: WHEBN0016504955
Reproduction Date:

Title: Tobu Sano Line  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Tochigi Prefecture, Gunma Prefecture, List of railway lines in Japan (A to I), List of railway lines in Japan (R to Z), Tobu 8000 series
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Tobu Sano Line

     Tōbu Sano Line
Up train of Sano Line crossing Watarase River taken from the side of Sano city
Type Heavy rail
Locale Kanto region
Termini Tatebayashi
Opening 1889
Owner Tobu Railway
Track gauge
Electrification 1,500 V DC, overhead catenary

The Tōbu Sano Line (東武佐野線 Tōbu Sano-sen?) is railway line in Japan, operated by the private Tobu Railway company from Tatebayashi Station in Tatebayashi city, Gunma Prefecture, in a north-north-easterly direction to Kuzū Station in Sano, Tochigi Prefecture.

In February 2005, the old city of Sano, the town of Tanuma and the town of Kuzu were merged into the city of Sano, so this line runs within the two cities of Tatebayashi, Gunma and Sano, Tochigi.


Name Japanese Transfers Ryomo Location
Tatebayashi 館林 Tobu Isesaki Line, Tobu Koizumi Line Tatebayashi, Gunma
Watarase 渡瀬  
Tajima 田島 Sano, Tochigi
Sanoshi 佐野市
Sano 佐野 Ryōmō Line
Horigome 堀米  
Yoshimizu 吉水
Tanuma 田沼
Tada 多田
Kuzū 葛生
  • Ryomo: Stations served by Limited Express Ryomo


  • On June 23, 1889, Aso-Basha-Tetsudo (Aso Horsecar, 安蘇馬車鉄道) opened the section of the line between Kuzu (葛生) and the former Yoshimizu(吉水).
  • On August 10 1889 the section of the line between the former Yoshimizu and the former Sano Town(旧佐野町) was opened.
  • On January 25, 1890 the section of the line between the former Sano Town and Koena-kashi(越名河岸) was opened.
  • On April 13, 1893 Aso-Basha-Tetsudo changed the company name to Sano Railway(佐野鉄道).
  • On March 20, 1894 the railway line between Kuzu,the former Sano Town and Koena-kashi was opened.
  • On June 17, 1903 Sano Railway Line was connected to Ryomo Line(両毛線).
  • On March 30, 1912 Tōbu Railway merged Sano Railway.
  • On August 2, 1914 the section of the line between Tatebayashi and Sano Town(the present Sano-shi) was opened.
  • On August 19 1914 the former Sano Town Station was abandoned.
  • On October 16 1914 the line between Tatebayashi and Kuzū was operated directly.
  • On February 1, 1915 the name of the former Yoshimizu station was changed to Horigome station(堀米駅).
  • On July 1 1915 Yoshimizu station was opened.
  • On July 5 1915 the passenger operation between Sano Town and Koena-kashi was abandoned.
  • On February 16, 1917 abolished between the town of Sano and Koena-kashi
  • On December 16, 1927 electrification was begun on the section between Tatebayashi and Kuzū. Watarase Station(渡瀬駅) was opened.
  • On April 1, 1943 the name of Sano Town Station was changed to Sanoshi Station(佐野市駅).
  • On May 1, 1972 Kita-Tatebayashi baggage office(北館林荷扱所) was opened between Watarase and Tajima.
  • On March 18, 2006 Wanman operation was started on the local train service.

External links

  • Tobu Railway Sano Line information page (Japanese)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.