World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Victoria District

 

Victoria District

Victoria District
British Columbia electoral district
Defunct federal electoral district
Legislature House of Commons
District created 1871
District abolished 1872
First contested 1871
Last contested 1871

Victoria District was a federal electoral district in British Columbia, Canada, that was represented in the Canadian House of Commons from 1871 to 1872.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Members of Parliament 2
  • Election results 3
  • See also 4
  • External links 5

History

It was created at the time of that province's entry into Confederation in 1871. It was composed of all of the Victoria, Esquimalt and Saanich districts as defined at the time. In 1872, it was abolished, and replaced by Victoria riding. As there was no general federal election including the new BC seats until 1872, the original Members of Parliament (MPs) from BC were elected in a special byelection held on 20 September 1871.

Members of Parliament

In Victoria District, there were only two candidates for the two-seat riding, so both members entered the House of Commons by acclamation.

One was Premier Amor De Cosmos, who held the seat and its successor for three elected terms as of the 1872 general election. During his first term, he retained his office as Premier, and during the last, shared the seat with Prime Minister John A. Macdonald.

The other member was Henry Nathan, Jr., a local businessman and the first MP of Jewish heritage.

For the 1872 general election, the Victoria District riding was replaced by Victoria riding. This was also the case with the similarly-temporary Cariboo District, Yale District, New Westminster District, which were abolished and replaced by ridings without the "District" appellation.

Election results

Canadian federal by-election, 20 September 1871
Party Candidate Votes
Liberal Amor De Cosmos acclaimed
Liberal Henry Nathan, Jr. acclaimed

See also

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.