World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Vierzehnheiligen

Article Id: WHEBN0014233825
Reproduction Date:

Title: Vierzehnheiligen  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Architecture of cathedrals and great churches, Scagliola, Baunach
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Vierzehnheiligen

The Basilica of the Fourteen Holy Helpers (also Basilika Vierzehnheiligen) is a church located near the town of Bad Staffelstein near Bamberg, in Bavaria, southern Germany. The late Baroque-Rococo basilica, designed by Balthasar Neumann, was constructed between 1743 and 1772. It is dedicated to the Fourteen Holy Helpers, a group of saints venerated together in the Catholic Church, especially in Germany at the time of the Black Death.

The Basilica faces the important German river Main in Franconia. It sits on a hillside, and on the hillside opposite is Schloss Banz, a former baroque monastery. Together they are known as the "Goldene Pforte" or golden portal, an entryway to the historic Franconian cities Coburg, Kronach, Kulmbach and Bayreuth.

Legend

On 24 September 1445, Hermann Leicht, the young shepherd of a nearby Franciscan monastery, saw a crying child in a field that belonged to the nearby Cistercian monastery of Langheim. As he bent down to pick up the child, it abruptly disappeared. A short time later, the child reappeared in the same spot. This time, two candles were burning next to it. In June 1446, the Leicht saw the child a third time. This time, the child bore a red cross on its chest and was accompanied by thirteen other children. The child said: "We are the fourteen helpers and wish to erect a chapel here, where we can rest. If you will be our servant, we will be yours!" Shortly after, Leicht saw two burning candles descending to this spot. It is alleged that miraculous healings soon began, through the intervention of the fourteen saints.


The Cistercian brothers to whom the land belonged erected a chapel, which immediately attracted pilgrims. An altar was consecrated as early as 1448. Pilgrimages to the Vierzehnheiligen continue to the present day between May and October.

The mercy altar of the Vierzehnheiligen

The fourteen saints represented in the altar are:

The high altar of the Vierzehnheiligen

The central scene of the unobstructed and towering high altar is a lager-than-life painting showing the Assumption of Maria. The statues depict Josef, Joachim, David and Zacharias. The lovely and imaginative pulpit is worth seeing too: free floating white putti bear the pulpit ornated with the golden reliefs of the Evangelists surrounded by shellwork. The pulpit cover (called "sound prevention cover" in German) is made of rays in a spherical shape.


External links

  • (German) The Basilica's official website
  • A web page on the Basilica from College of the Holy Cross

Coordinates: 50°06′56″N 11°03′16″E / 50.11556°N 11.05444°E / 50.11556; 11.05444

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.