World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Villebois-Lavalette

Article Id: WHEBN0015501655
Reproduction Date:

Title: Villebois-Lavalette  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Charente department, Paul Abadie, Arrondissement of Angoulême, Canton of Villebois-Lavalette
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Villebois-Lavalette

Villebois-Lavalette
Villebois-Lavalette
Villebois-Lavalette

Coordinates: 45°29′01″N 0°16′50″E / 45.4836°N 0.2806°E / 45.4836; 0.2806Coordinates: 45°29′01″N 0°16′50″E / 45.4836°N 0.2806°E / 45.4836; 0.2806

Country France
Region Poitou-Charentes
Department Charente
Arrondissement Angoulême
Canton Villebois-Lavalette
Intercommunality Horte et Lavalette
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Patrick Fonteneau
Area
 • Land1 7.20 km2 (2.78 sq mi)
Population (2008)
 • Population2 747
 • Population2 density 100/km2 (270/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 16408 / 16320
Elevation 103–198 m (338–650 ft)
(avg. 192 m or 630 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Villebois-Lavalette is a commune in the Charente department in southwestern France. It is the seat of the Canton of Villebois-Lavalette, and located on a prominent hill which has a château dating back to Roman times.

In the centre of the old town, there is an old wooden covered market that dates back to the 16th century. It was restored in the 19th century and is now an historic monument. There is a small, but lively market every Saturday morning. A 17th-century sundial can be seen on a house that overlooks the market hall.

The town is a reasonably small one with banks, cash machines, newsagent, 2 chemists, 2 boulangeries, a tourism office, garages, a large supermarket, doctors/dentists, builder's supply store, cafe, hotel and restaurant.


History

The town gets its name from its location on the main Roman road from Périgueux to Saintes. It is thought to be named after a "town located in the woods next to the river Ne" (Ville - town, boisne - wood next to Ne). There is another possible explanation - that it was originally called "Villa bovis" or place of the ox.

The 180 metre high hill upon which the town and château are now located had been the site of a Gallic oppidum and a Roman castrum until in the 8th century, a château was started to be built by the Fulcher family. It was continued by the Helie family and finally completed in the 12th century by the Ithier family.

Ithier was a powerful lord who participated in the Crusades and erected a Romanesque chapel in the château close to the outside wall that was used by pilgrims of Santiago de Compostela as refuge and accommodation.

In the 13th century, the Lusignan family (the Count of Angoulême), added 2 parts to the primitive chapel, enlarged the château's enclosure and walls, and built 7 towers to turn it into a formidable fortress.

Because of its commanding position, it became a much sought after location. In the Hundred Years' War, the English occupied it until it was reclaimed by the Duke of Berry in 1376. During the Wars of Religion, the town and château was taken by the Protestants until they were overthrown by the Catholics.

In 1589, the Knight of Aubeterre (leader of the League of Angoumois), transformed the château into a garrison for troops. The Duke of Epernon besieged it and forced out the troops by using large canons.

In 1597, Jean Louis de Nogaret de La Valette, Duke of Epernon, Governor of the Angoumois from 1554–1642, acquired the land around the town and established it as a duchy under the name of Lavalette. So from 1622 onwards, the town took the name Villebois-Lavalette.

The Duke of Navaille purchased the château in 1660 and rebuilt a princely castle. Only one wall was kept of the original fortress.

During the French Revolution, the château was besieged and damaged. It became an army food storage supply centre and prison. After the revolution it became the main prison for several surrounding departments.

In 1822, a fire destroyed half of the château. Only the north wing and a few sections of the outside wall survived. It was then used as a school until 1912.

From 1914 to 1998, it was owned by the Fleurry family who then sold it in 1998 to a Mr Torres.

It has been partially restored and is now open for visits from May to September.

Population

See also

References

  • INSEE
  • "Villebois-Lavalette: The Castle. The Market Place" undated English pamphlet from the tourist office.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.