World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Whitehall Court

Article Id: WHEBN0006132839
Reproduction Date:

Title: Whitehall Court  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: National Liberal Club, British Constructional Steelwork Association, List of gentlemen's clubs in London, Authors' Club, St. James's Park
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Whitehall Court

Whitehall Court, seen from South Bank. The National Liberal Club takes up the fourth on the right; the rest is mainly residential.
The southern half of Whitehall Court, encompassing numbers 3 and 4, photographed from inland.

Whitehall Court in London, England, is one contiguous building but consists of two separate constructions; the end occupied by the National Liberal Club was designed by Alfred Waterhouse, the major part (including the Royal Horseguards Hotel) was designed by Archer & Green.

The Royal Horseguards Hotel, owned by Guoman Hotels,[1] covers 1 & 2 Whitehall Court. The remainder (3 & 4 Whitehall Court) is where the Farmers Club, offices of various charitable or commercial organisations and its residential part is located.

Whitehall Court was built during the mid-1880s by Archer & Green with financing provided by Jabez Balfour. The story that led to the creation of the building is described in Jabez: The rise and fall of a Victorian rogue by David McKie.

Well-known residents have included H. G. Wells, Sarah Caudwell, and Stafford Cripps. James Compton Merryweather, the fire engineer, lived at number 4 from before 1902 to his death in 1917. It is also home to the Farmers Club, the United Nations Association UK and Liberal International, which is housed within the National Liberal Club.

The building forms part of the vista, frequently photographed by tourists, from the bridge in St. James's Park looking towards Horse Guards Parade.

It was used as Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) headquarters until the end of World War I. A blue plaque in Mansfield Smith-Cumming's name at the SIS headquarters at 2 Whitehall Court was unveiled on 30 March 2015.[2]

References

  1. ^ http://www.guoman.com/en/hotels/united_kingdom/london/the_royal_horseguards/
  2. ^

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.